Think I killed my Sabretooth :,,,(

froggyluv

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
So I recently bought an Asus Sabretooth, i5 2500, 8 gigs Vengeance and was loving life. Then I got greedy and had a new Corsair 690 Advanced case, 750 Corsair PSU and another 460 GTX to try out SLI as well as a Cooler Master 212 Plus -my first time messing with a non-clippy cooler.

Now my PC won't boot nor make a sound tho all the lights and fans come on. The CPU LED is permanetly red and I think something got shorted when I applied the back bracket.

I then breadboarded the system with my old PSU, stock cooler outside the case and the result is the same. I think I killed something but how do I figure out if it's the Mobo or the CPU? I bought everything from Newegg and how do I go about this horrible mess- I've never had to send anything back after 5 years or so of building my own PC's.

I'm still a total noob and accept it's my fault -but the new cooler instructions are horrible and nowhere on any of the many youtube installation manuals did anyone mention this risk -tho I've seen the warning in a few forums now.... please help this computerless loser

froggyluv

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Twas the mobo indeed. Stopped into Geek Squad as well as Microcenter and those guys were useless -I was telling them things :lol:

Finally had to drive hour and half to MC and bought a very cheap Gigabyte board ($80) just to see and low and behold it boots right up.

Looks like that Sabretooth ain't that TUF after all and about to start the RMA process.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

That's a real shame; motherboards shouldn't be so so weak that the average person taking average precautions can't touch them ever. Since you were able to get the GB board to work just fine, you clearly know to avoid twisting the board, dropping the board, static shocking the board, etc...