Any recommendations for a good air flow case?

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
The title speaks for itself.I prefer Full towers but mids are OK too.My choices are pretty much limited to "Cooler Master" , "Thermaltake" and "Lian Li".

Other than what the title says,I'd like to ask the following:

-Is there that much of a difference between HAF 932 and HAF X?

-Is the CM Scout any good? I always hear people hear mention CM Sniper,but had almost not even heard of Scout.

-How are "Aerocool" cases?

Thanks

AMW1011

Distinguished
The best air cooling cases on the market, are the Silverstone RV02 or FT02 cases with AP181 fans. Both are now shipping with those fans stock, but you will have to be lucky because of older stock. If you are unlucky here is the best price for the AP181s:
http://www.directron.com/ap181.html

You will only need 2 for the GPU and CPU, the one for the HDDs doesn't matter.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/08/12/silverstone-ft02r-w-review/2

Note that any FT02 or RV02 case will perform the same as that one with AP181 fans. These cases will pull ahead of the HAF X in cooling with hotter running cards and multi card setups easily.

Also note that they are pretty easy to build in and are huge cases. They don't meet full tower specs (20"x20"x7.5"), but are larger than most full towers at (19.5"x24"x8")

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Thanks for the recommendations,though my choices are limited to "Coolermaster" "Thermaltake" and "Lian Li" for various reasons... I should've said that in the first post ^^;;;

Generally, mid towers are more efficient when it comes to cooling when compared to full towers.. The need for a full tower arises with increased number of components (4 or more hard drives, more than a couple of optical drives, more than two video cards, big water cooling setup requiring radiator spacing) and so on.. Sometimes a full tower is chosen on the basis of no fuss future upgrade ability.. But most of the times, a mid tower will suffice.. Coming to recommendations, what is your budget? What preferences do you have for your case apart from the size.? Which components do you wish/have to put in.?

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hmm,my current system is:

i7 860
Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe motherboard (ATX)
Asus ENGTX 470
Kingston 4 GB ram (2 sticks of 2 GB each)
Thermaltake 650W PSU
Samsung Dvd Writer
500 GB Seagate HDD

I'm using a Thermaltake Aguila case right now.I'm considering to change my case because:
- I want to lower my GPU temperatures
- Somehow the motherboard doesn't really fit the outputs on the case.It's very hard to plug the speaker cords because the case borders get in the way and same goes for the VGA too.The output side of the graphics card hit the case before perfectly fitting the PCI slot.It's milimetric,but still the left side of the card stays higher than the right part.

I might change the system in near future for I'm having some problems right now,but I probably will get something along those lines.
About budget,it's around 200$ max.

maflynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I have the FT02 case and with the Noctua DH-14 cpu cooler, I'm seeing mid 30s for no load temps and mid 40s when I stress the puppy out. Ambient temps (20c).

I highly recommend the FT02 case, its quiet, cools quite well and looks great.

I'm running a core i7-930, nvidia GTX-260, earthwatts 650 PSU and its all quiet and cool :)

I guess you've wrongly typed some info as the CPU and the motherboard that you've mentioned are not compatible..

If its only GPU temps you are worried about then your budget allows you to get the Cooler Master HAF-X.. My recommendation would however be the Lian-Li PC A70f..

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah,HAF-X seems good,but I have one question about that,is it so much better than the HAF 932,or is it a slight difference?

Actually,it's not that I don't want it or something,it just that Silverstone cases are not imported,and I don't want to order a computer component online...

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

Ooops,that's right. It's i7 860...

maflynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

Fair enough.

I had to purchase my case online, as my local computer dealer did not carry them. Based on reviews, I went and purchased the case at newegg, where I purchased many computer components in the past, so I had a peace of mind with ordering this bad boy online.

Regards
Mike

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Really speaking, when you're talking about high-end cases there isn't really that much difference in airflow/cooling etc. What you usually end up paying more for is the feature set. At the top of the market most of the cases have more or less the same cooling ability etc. and more often than not very similar features too. The aesthetics of the case is usually the deciding factor as everyone has different tastes.

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

NZXT Lexa S

3 x 120mm fans along with 1 x 140mm fan INCLUDED plus room for another fan

Dust filters, bottom PSU mount and many more features

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146060&Tpk=nzxt%20lexa%20s