Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDD dissapears in Win 7 64-bit?!!??!

Last response: in Storage
September 25, 2012 4:49:05 PM

So I have my OS setup just how I want it but now for some reason my 2nd HDD is messing up on me?!!!

The first thing I noticed was my computer froze up and me and I had to restart it.
During the boot process CHKDSK came up?
I let it run and it said it was fixing some things on the drive.

When I loaded back into Windows finally, there were boot files on the drive.
Windows was running extremely slow so I restarted and tried to do a repair.
Went through the process and said unable to repair.

Restarted and everything seemed like it was back to normal.
However now I have a problem where sometime my drive is listed under my computer and sometimes it is not!??! If I restart and go to the BIOS, the drive shows up, but doesn't always show in windows.

Sometimes in Windows I can open up all my files on the drive just fine. Other times when I click on a file folder a loading bar appears at the top of my computer saying loading drive. It gets stuck and says not responding and then the drive disappears from my computer. Then sometimes the drive is not there at all. The drive is a 500GB Maxtor diamond max that was split into three partitions, and had worked fine for quite a while with this setup.

Is this drive dying on me? Or is there something I am missing that can help fix this problem? I ran a virus scan but didn't find anything, using the latest Norton Antivirus.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! :( 

More about : hdd dissapears win bit

September 25, 2012 4:57:01 PM

Maxtor was purchased by Seagate in 2006, so yes, that drive might be dying. Go buy yourself a new drive, and try to clone it using a free tool like Paragon's, hopefully you will be able to salvage it before you lose all your data.

http://www.paragon-software.com/free/
m
l

Best solution

a c 104 G Storage
September 25, 2012 6:16:46 PM

Hello,

I agree with Ender. It sounds like the HDD is failing. Consider a SATA III 1 or 2TB (no bigger) WD or Seagate. As long as it is still functioning, you can clone the old HDD to the new HDD with the same partitions. Paragon or EaseUS or Partition Wizard are great. Once done, then you can adust the partition sizes exactly to your needs, or even save some Unallocated space at the end for later use.

Other acedemic exercise you can do, is to download the Trial Version of HD Tune Pro, and run the Health SMART tests, run an error scan to get an idea of bad sectors, and read transfer rates. The SMART parameters may show you spin up time or sector reallocation problems, but sometimes one of the chips just fails without warning, so this would Not be in place of purchasing a new HDD for safety.

I kind of think of Hard drives like water heaters. It's not if they are going to fail, they all do over time. So if the warranty has long past, or you see dampness on the floor, time to replace it. Nice thing about HDD's, they aren't quire so heavy!
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 25, 2012 6:26:29 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Consider a SATA III 1 or 2GB (no bigger) WD or Seagate.

That's an awfully small drive, so I do believe you mean 1 or 2TB.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 25, 2012 7:07:49 PM

nbelote said:
That's an awfully small drive, so I do believe you mean 1 or 2TB.

My mistake, absolutely I mean 1 or 2 TB HDD's! sorry. Edited the post. That would be a really small drive!

I remember back in 1998 putting together a new computer with a 1 GB WD HDD. Thought that was really great and would never be able to fill it up. It's now disassembled to demo component parts!
m
l
September 27, 2012 4:50:08 PM

John_VanKirk said:
I remember back in 1998 putting together a new computer with a 1 GB WD HDD. Thought that was really great and would never be able to fill it up. It's now disassembled to demo component parts!

If we are puling out memories of old computers, I built my first PC back in 1997, and if my memory serves me correctly, it was a Windows 95/Celeron/Matrox G400-based system with probably a lot less than 1GB HDD (100-200 MB). It was a replacement for my Windows 3.11 Compaq 386 laptop...
m
l
October 8, 2012 12:27:02 PM

Best answer selected by Cuzzin Chizzy.
m
l
October 12, 2012 11:06:47 PM

So I fixed the errors on the drive and now it seems absolutely fine. Hmmm.... still did backup all of my data but looks ok for now.
m
l
!