GPU messed up after PCI-E slot cracking?

TorqueSmacky

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
*TL;DR skip to the bottom sentence, just help me if you can >.>*

I just recently moved and had to ship my computer. I didn't know which was better to do either take the parts out or leave it in the hard case, I decided to leave it in the case and ship it.

When it finally came in the mail i opened it up to see if anything was messed or to see if there was loose wires or anything and everything was fine. It booted fine and worked perfectly till i started playing high end graphic games like Crysis 2 and my screen starting glitching. This glitch looking flash on my screen would happen fairly often in till it would happen so often it would freeze my game just showing this picture of pixels all over my screen (There is nothing wrong with my monitor).

So i took i look into my computer again and now so this crack in my PCI express slot on my motherboard and i quickly turned off my computer and removed my ATI Radeon HD 5870 from my computer to relook at the slot. After removing the GPU i took a look at the PCI-e slot and noticed that half of it was missing cause it was stuck on my GPU i just pulled out. So now the PCI-e slot is completely cracked in half. Luckily i had a second PCI-e slot that i didn't use at first cause its so close to everything and the 5870 is huge.

Putting the 5870 in the other PCI-e slot i would think everything would be fine now but i couldn't boot up my PC and it would overheat like crazy with no picture on the monitor. I let it cool down and try to boot up again and it worked. I try to play Crysis again but it still flashes those glitch screen's but not enough to make my game crash just enough to make it bothersome to not play.

TL;DR My PCI-e slot cracked in half that my GPU was inserted too, moved my 5870 to a perfectly fine 2nd PCI slot. Tried to boot it up it over heated and wouldn't boot up with picture on my computer, I let it cool down and then it worked. Now my high end games wont run properly and i get pix elated glitch flashes when i do try to play.

TorqueSmacky

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I am deeply sorry if this is against the rules of posting in 2 forums but i didn't know where to ask the question.

*TL;DR skip to the bottom sentence, just help me if you can >.>*

I just recently moved and had to ship my computer. I didn't know which was better to do either take the parts out or leave it in the hard case, I decided to leave it in the case and ship it.

When it finally came in the mail i opened it up to see if anything was messed or to see if there was loose wires or anything and everything was fine. It booted fine and worked perfectly till i started playing high end graphic games like Crysis 2 and my screen starting glitching. This glitch looking flash on my screen would happen fairly often in till it would happen so often it would freeze my game just showing this picture of pixels all over my screen (There is nothing wrong with my monitor).

So i took i look into my computer again and now so this crack in my PCI express slot on my motherboard and i quickly turned off my computer and removed my ATI Radeon HD 5870 from my computer to relook at the slot. After removing the GPU i took a look at the PCI-e slot and noticed that half of it was missing cause it was stuck on my GPU i just pulled out. So now the PCI-e slot is completely cracked in half. Luckily i had a second PCI-e slot that i didn't use at first cause its so close to everything and the 5870 is huge.

Putting the 5870 in the other PCI-e slot i would think everything would be fine now but i couldn't boot up my PC and it would overheat like crazy with no picture on the monitor. I let it cool down and try to boot up again and it worked. I try to play Crysis again but it still flashes those glitch screen's but not enough to make my game crash just enough to make it bothersome to not play.

TL;DR My PCI-e slot cracked in half that my GPU was inserted too, moved my ATI Radeon HD 5870 to a perfectly fine 2nd PCI slot. Tried to boot it up it over heated and wouldn't boot up with picture on my computer, I let it cool down and then it worked. Now my high end games wont run properly and i get pix elated glitch flashes when i do try to play.

your motherboard and/or video card are damaged. the vid card may look ok, bu it has obviously been under a lot of stress and there could be fractures in the solder or pcb. i would ditch the motherboard as there may be something shorting out in the broken pcie slot.