Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My pc keep restarting..Plese HELP!!

Last response: in Components
July 20, 2010 9:01:11 AM

I am a hardcore gamer.I buy a new pc 3 months ago.I have no AC in my room.
My Rig-Intel C2Q 2.5,Motherboard - Gigabyte EG41MFT-US2H,2GB DDR3 RAM,500GB HDD,Samsund DVD R/W,LCD-Dell 19'',Gigabyte 9600gt PCIe Graphics card.
I encounter first restart problem in first week.But I ignored that.Now the problem is increasing day by day.At first i think that cause of problem is my Graphics card.
I have warranty so they changed my graphics card & give me HD 5670.I was happy for my new graphics card but again it restart next day.Now pleae tell me where is the problem in my PC.Also note that if I run (Playing games)my PC continuously (with a break of 1 hour) I dont't encounter any problem & if i turn off my pc for 4 or 6 hour
the problem start.PLEASE HELP ME!!

More about : restarting plese

a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 9:05:52 AM

You have not listed your power supply.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 9:07:29 AM

Also, you have not posted temperatures.

Use HWMonitor, take a screenshot of all the info after you play a game for a while, and post it:
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2010 10:41:24 AM

My power supply is Value top 500w
m
l
July 20, 2010 11:04:53 AM

I have download hwmonitor but I can't still run any game because it cause restart.
And note that playin HD movies & songs also cause restart.My avarage temp of 4 cpu is
55C.
How I can post pic here?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 9:31:36 PM

If your average temp of the CPU cores is 55C while playing movies, THAT is your problem.

Are you using the stock cooler? It is probably not attached correctly, not fully seated.

Are you using another cooler? Then possibly too much paste or mounted wrong.

Use an image hosting service (google it) and then post use the little picture icon available when you click on the "add reply" button.
m
l
July 21, 2010 5:45:42 PM

I have invite a technician in my house for advise.He carefully check my graphics card &
motherboard.He told me that it might be IC chip in motherboard which cause restart because it heat too much and also said that my HDD make a little unexpected noise.
He said to run my pc a day & inform him about status of my pc.But he can't sure which is the main cause of problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 12:52:09 AM

The idle temperature of C2Q cores on stock cooling is going to be between +25 and +30 over the room temperature. So if your room temp is 30C that would be about right I suppose.

However, if the cores quickly heat up to 70C that could cause problems.

Your cheap PSU could also be the source of the problem, supplying unstable power to the computer.

Just take the side of the case off and point a household fan into the computer. If the problem improves you then know that something is getting too hot, even if you don't yet know what.
m
l
July 23, 2010 4:19:22 AM

I have found a way to start my computer.First I have to unplug my graphics card from motherboard.Then I need to run computer half an hour and then install graphics card on my motherboard.Then i need to run a game or hd movie.That how how my computer start.I can't turn off computer for more then 2 hours because it will cause restart.From yesterday I have played Mirror's edge,Assassin's creed II & singularity without any problem!

BUT DON'T WANT TO USE THIS TRICK AGAIN & AGAIN!!
m
l
July 23, 2010 4:24:40 AM

Reading by temperature hwmonitor (In Celsius)

TMPIN 45 45 45
TMPIN 38 38 39
TMPIN -1 -1 -1

Cores
C-0-45 45 46
C-1-44 43 45
C-2-48 48 48
C-3-47 47 47

m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 4:59:15 AM

I agree with temperatures and weak power supply. Never heard of value top. Not a well known brand by any means. I would recommend looking at a new antec or corsair unit. Also, be sure you have enough fans/cooling in the case, as it could be overheating as well.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 6:55:15 AM

Your "trick" does indeed make it sound like a crappy PSU issue. Get a good PSU, regardless... you are playing Russian roulette with that one. See the link in my sig to identify a good one.

While 55C was too much, your core temps in the more recent post look about right for a stock cooler.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 7:03:56 AM

Yes, you can kill your whole rig if that Power Supply goes out.
m
l
July 23, 2010 9:58:44 AM

I still have 2 months warranty of my PSU.Are you sure that the cause of problem is PSU.I have already changed my graphics card for restarting problem.Now what I will tell them? will they change my PSU or I need to buy a new one?Is there any problem in my motherboard ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 2:26:15 PM

Even if you end up having to replace the power supply yourself, I would still upgrade. I've had cheap power supplies kill a motherboard before. It's kinda like playing russian roulette with your system. You may not fry anything, but better safe than sorry.
m
l
July 24, 2010 1:23:07 PM

It restart again.Today's maximum temperature of my 4 cores(In Celsius)
58 57 58 56
Is there any way to measure watt generate by psu?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2010 8:38:37 PM

Nothing reliable and the wattage is not as important as voltage stability and the amount of DC current ripple. If you have a GOOD voltage meter and the knowledge to find and test an active rail while under load without shocking yourself, then yes you can at least find out a little bit, but not all the story.

That paragraph nicely sums up why I promote only good power supplies.
m
l
July 25, 2010 12:27:26 PM

At present I have not enough money to buy a new PSU.Three months ago I buy my PC.So my mother will not give me any more money at present.I will try to buy a new psu in next month.But what I should do with my pc now ? Any suggestion ?
is it wise to try secondhand psu ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2010 8:34:20 PM

Only if it's a good second hand PSU ;)  Warning: Very old power supplies are not intended for modern computers. They make mostly 5V power and modern computers need 12V power mostly. So don't use a PSU older than about 5 years.
m
l
July 26, 2010 11:14:54 AM

Today my trick not working like before.I have double os on my hdd(Win7 & WinXP).
I notice that game run quiet longer in xp than 7.In win7 dirt 2 runs 4 sec,assasin's creed 2 runs 30-50sec,Singularity runs 5-7min & mirror edge runs 10-15 min.In xp
they run longer(I mean some minute longer.)Don't tell me to reinstall xp & 7 because
I have done this more than 10 times!!!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2010 6:20:16 AM

And every time the computer just re-starts on it's own? Sounds like a power supply problem to me.
m
l
July 27, 2010 7:08:41 AM

Yes I think so,today I turn on GIGABYTE Energy Saver.Now I can play mirror's edge quite longer 1-3 hours.But stiil can't play dirt 2 & assassin's creed 2.Is both game draw maximum power from psu?Note I run dx11 on win7.And also tell me how much power(PSU) I need in my pc(Lowest in price but good in quality.)
m
l
July 27, 2010 7:25:06 AM

First try this

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/disautorest... XP

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-res... Win7

if it still restarts own then i would agree with it likely being a PSU issue

gameranik said:
Yes I think so,today I turn on GIGABYTE Energy Saver.Now I can play mirror's edge quite longer 1-3 hours.But stiil can't play dirt 2 & assassin's creed 2.Is both game draw maximum power from psu?Note I run dx11 on win7.And also tell me how much power(PSU) I need in my pc(Lowest in price but good in quality.)

500w is fine.. but get something 80+ bronze at least.. and ask around about how good a certain company is before you buy.. if you don't like what you hear, find someone else
m
l
August 3, 2010 2:09:28 AM

I hear news about my PSU.This brand is not good for gaming.Please tell me about some brand with model & price.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 6:15:07 AM

Just see the PSU guide linked in my signature.
m
l
August 3, 2010 9:06:53 AM

I have dual operating system on my HDD.One is win7(64Bit) & winxp(32Bit).I have see that in restarting season I can run game in winxp(32Bit) long enough,some time it stop restating.Is this happen because of using 64Bit OS?Is 64 bit draw more power than 32?Bit?Can I need to reinstall win7 in 32Bit?And last question,Can I run dx11 in win7(32Bit)?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2010 10:31:53 AM

Possibly a bit less power and a bit less heat, resulting in greater PSU stability. It would only be very small changes though.

No, you shouldn't need to change to Win 7 32-bit.

Yes, you can have DX 11 in 32-bit.
m
l
August 3, 2010 11:00:15 AM

gameranik said:
I am a hardcore gamer.I buy a new pc 3 months ago.I have no AC in my room.
My Rig-Intel C2Q 2.5,Motherboard - Gigabyte EG41MFT-US2H,2GB DDR3 RAM,500GB HDD,Samsund DVD R/W,LCD-Dell 19'',Gigabyte 9600gt PCIe Graphics card.
I encounter first restart problem in first week.But I ignored that.Now the problem is increasing day by day.At first i think that cause of problem is my Graphics card.
I have warranty so they changed my graphics card & give me HD 5670.I was happy for my new graphics card but again it restart next day.Now pleae tell me where is the problem in my PC.Also note that if I run (Playing games)my PC continuously (with a break of 1 hour) I dont't encounter any problem & if i turn off my pc for 4 or 6 hour
the problem start.PLEASE HELP ME!!

Your pc is overheating
m
l
August 4, 2010 5:59:15 AM

I have invented another trick.I need to move my ram into another slot.But this trick also not working now.
And also see that in restarting season Mirror edge's run quite long (in Xp 1-1.5 hour,in win7 20-45 min)in my pc,where dirt 2 run only 2 sec.And other games like Call of duty MW2 run 1min,Assassin's creed 2 run 10-30 sec,Prince of persia FS run only 6-10 sec.I don't understand what is happening.Is mirror edge consume less power than other games?
Is my PSU damaged or PSU & Motherboard both are damaged?
m
l
August 4, 2010 6:25:23 AM

Ok that is weird! did you check your PSU? if it does'nt keep its charge it could cause your pc to restart if its not your psu, check all your power connectors could be one is faulty (e.g power connector going to your graphics cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 3:15:43 PM

I would definitely check out heating issues and the power supply. Either one left untreated could mess up your computer. Definitely from what you have said before, look at another power supply. Junk the one that is in there, get something like an Antec or Corsair unit and that should help.

Also, download a program called speedfan and check the temperatures with it, it should give you an idea how hot components are getting inside the pc.

However, if your power supply is the issue and you keep running it like that, you could fry the entire machine.
m
l
August 6, 2010 2:09:11 PM

Can PSU cause overheating?
My PC is restarting .I found that average temperature of my core is 58C(Where min 55C max 59C)
m
l
August 6, 2010 4:51:09 PM

I remember at the time when my pc start restart continuously,my USB mouse get damage.I have a old mouse(not USB),so I plug that mouse in my pc.But it also get damaged.In next day I have to buy a new USB mouse.
yesterday my pc start working,so I invite a friend with his joy-pad to play with me.But I get shocked when I learn that my joy-pad (USB) is also damage.And my card reader can't read any memory card.WHAT IS HAPPENING ?????
Is this is PSU problem or motherboard?
Don't worry I got warranty,Please tell me where is the problem?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 10:18:04 PM

If it's your PSU and your USB devices are being damaged, then the motherboard is damaged as well. So regardless, you need to replace both now.
m
l
August 7, 2010 2:26:20 AM

Most interesting thing is that whenever I go to service center with my PC,my PC become normal.
It happened two times.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 6:24:40 AM

What could be happening as well is that there is not enough air being vented out near the power supply, and so hot air is building up there and forcing the rest of your temps up. 55-58 IS WAY TOO HOT.

You need at the very least to be sure the power supply fan works, and also be sure you have a fan under the power supply to create a stream of cool air.

Last question, you are not keeping the pc in a closed cabinet are you?

If so you need to take it out of there or create a way for it to get fresh air, otherwise hot air that the pc exhausts may only be forced into the pc again. I think this is very likely considering it works normally when you have it tested, because they probably just put it on a test bench in the open. But with it frying components on usb, you may very well have motherboard related problems.
m
l
August 7, 2010 10:19:18 AM

Whenever the pc restart,I found that my maximum temperature of core is 59-58C.
I've no AC in my room.Some time my PC become normal in hot day,And also some time my PC start restart in cold day.But i think bringing my PC in an Air controlled room,
it become normal.
And for your information I keep my casing open and also I am using a stand fan,but nothing working.
At first my PC has no problem(Even in hot day or very sunny day).The problem start after days,but that time this is looks like a minor problem.But now the problem got bigger!
Any suggestion?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 3:27:06 PM

Yeah, unfortunately heat and PC's don't mix. If you can't get AC in the room, about the only other thing I could suggest is maybe blow a box fan on the side, though you said you're already using a fan.

Didn't know if it was in a cabinet or not, but I know I've seen pc's in cabinets have overheating problems, even in climate controlled rooms.
m
l
August 8, 2010 11:33:49 AM

It is raining now,so it is cold here.But I can't turn on my pc.It get overheated & restart.
m
l
August 9, 2010 9:31:05 AM

I think that overheating is not major problem.Because whenever my computer start restart ,I just unplug my Graphics card from mother board & then it become normal.I can play low & mid graphics game(The Sims 2,Evil genius,Alien shooter 2 etc.) without any problem(Which not possible to run in restarting season,when graphics card is present in motherboard ).But high graphics games (which can run on on-board chip set like COD MW,COD MW2,PES 10,FIFA 10 etc.) can run on my PC an hour or 2 hour then it start restart again.Can anyone EXPLAIN THIS ?
m
l
August 12, 2010 2:01:50 AM

They(Seller) said to me that the problem is my BIOS.Because Gigabyte motherboard can hardly support C2Q & so it need BIOS update.So they update my BIOS.At present my PC is running without any problem.They said me to test my PC a week.Can BIOS cause restart?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2010 2:17:59 AM

Could if they sold it to you without the updates. But it may not have been apparent at the time. But the bios essentially tells the processor, memory and other components how to act, so it's theoretically possible.
August 16, 2010 3:55:46 PM

I think my problem is solved.I run my PC a week without any problem.But i can't understand can BIOS cause damage to USB device?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2010 5:12:41 PM

Shouldn't, usually I think usb devices get messed up by too much voltage, or not enough voltage etc. Why do you ask?
m
l
August 17, 2010 10:53:45 AM

Best answer selected by gameranik.
m
l
!