Sign in with
Your question

RMA or Refund...XFX GTX260 Core216

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2010 7:54:04 AM

I have tested the GTX260 using both 257 and 197 drivers...it only runs at 1x instead of 16x for PCIEx speed...verified with gpuz

the fan gets very loud and the computer will not boot up until it quiets down. sometimes it does not even boot up since the fans stays @100% fan speed...

sometimes the computer would not even load into windows with this videocard...

3dmarks crashed on this videocard...

I tested this videocard on 2 different system and same issue...

I went back to my 9600GSO and it booted up without any issues and is running at PCIEX 16x speed...

....XFX has approved it for RMA

I do have a question through:

The RMA document states: Include a copy of the sales invoice, receipt, or online order history with the package (Primarily for cards with a 2 year warranty).

Do i need to an sales receipt or invoice when i send the videocard in even though this videocard is limited lifetime, and i got it through a friend??

My friend also stated i can give him the card back he'll refund me...

What to do....refund and may get a better videocard or return back for my $$$...?

My System:
Q9550
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
2x2GB PC6400 Corsair
XFX GTX260 55nm
Hard Drive
2xSeagate 7200.12 1TB Power Supply
CM Silent 700 Watts
Windows 7 64bit
June 11, 2010 8:38:04 AM

How much did you pay for it?

The full price of the card is more expensive than a 5770 which is newer, supports Direct X 11 and is similar in performance. If it had been store bought I would say refund without a doubt, but if you bought it real cheap then it is probably worth RMAing as you wont get a card as good for the same price.
June 11, 2010 9:34:22 AM

I got it for $135.
Related resources
June 11, 2010 9:57:58 AM

RMA it, it's a good card, the ati 5xxx cards are technically better, but with the problems we see people in these forum with, technically better is a moot point if you can't use it because of problems
June 11, 2010 11:11:31 AM

thanks and I think i'll probably RMA it then, but i just need one more piece of info. (I've never done a XFX RMA before)

The RMA document states: Include a copy of the sales invoice, receipt, or online order history with the package (Primarily for cards with a 2 year warranty).

Do i need to an sales receipt or invoice when i send the videocard in even though this videocard is limited lifetime, and i got it through a friend?
June 11, 2010 11:26:27 AM

does the friend still have the reciept? if not you better get your money back, right now 260's are 140 if you shop, THG just ran an article
June 11, 2010 11:54:54 AM

If he has receipt then get it RMA'd. If not then get your money back and either buy a new one if you can find it at $140 like Number13 says, if not (on newegg the cheapest is $169.99) then I would go with a 5770, it is a good card. DOn't be put off by a few bad experiences - it is a new and budget card, therefore ALOT of people buy it (compared to older cards such as Nvidia 200 series etc) when it works no one is going to post about it, so all you see are those having problems, it may seem like a high number of people, but the ratio to how many bought to how many have issues will be no different to other cards and indeed other hardware
June 11, 2010 12:03:40 PM

Look in the forums and think about what you are going to do, common sense is an awesome tool, but, in the end, the choice is yours(older card- tried and proven, newer budget card, cheaper is better-maybe)
June 11, 2010 12:18:03 PM

Yes, ultimately you need to decide. Don't just look at this forum though, you may find the Homebuilt system useful too - A lot of people there know what they are talking about and it is no coincidence that the 5770 is mentioned (admittedly only if people cannot afford the 5850).

Though above all, I would just read proper review sites regarding them. Base your decision on how the card is assuming it performs as it is supposed to, not on how unlucky or lucky thers have been with their cards. there is no big inherant flaw in the design of either cards
June 11, 2010 1:05:48 PM

Agreed
!