Really bad framerate in LInux. What to do?

agpport

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001
I have now finally managed to install Unreal Tournament in Linux:)

My first 3D-eXPerience (pun intended) in Linux was starting up "Tux-racer" and getting about 1 FPS. I figured this was normal since I had not installed Nvidias drivers back then.

Today I installed nvidias drivers 1-0-1541. I went to console mode as root, rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel-1-0-1541.suse72.i386.rpm
and got a message that I was trying to install older drivers than the current ones, so NVIDIA_kernel-1-0-1541.suse72.i386.rpm --force.

Same thing with NVIDIA_GLX-1-0-1541.suse72.i386.rpm, had to --force it too.

Well, Tuxracer FPS still sux. And UT starts up, with really bad framerate, and all I see in the opening movie is the small things (whatever they are) lying on the ground.

Everything else is all white and yellow fields not unlike when you overclock your GF2 MX to 280 core / 320 mem I press ESC and its all white except for the menybuttons that are black...

Was it very stupid to force the nvidia rpm:s?
Everything is as usual in KDE.

One thing just struck me: There arent any VIA 4-in-1:s for Linux is there? I remember how bad 3D performs in windows without the AGP miniport driver... Could this be the problem?

Plz help!!!

System:
ASUS A7V266
Athlon C 1200
256 MB TwinMOS DDR
Gainward Geforce2 PRO 64 MB
Onboard C-Media sound
Seagate U5 40 GB
RealTek NIC

SUSE Linux 7.2

G

as far as i know, there's a couple of reasons it'll suck. Even if the RPMS install ok, but you may still need to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

The nvidia install guide says...

"If you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' driver), then all you need to do is find the relevant Device section and replace the line:

Driver "nv"

with

Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

Load "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

if they exist. There are also numerous options that can be added to
the XF86Config file to fine-tune the NVIDIA XFree86 driver. Please see
Appendix D for a complete list of these options."

Maybe rpm -e NVIDIA_GLX, then rpm -ivh would be better than --force.

Another possiblity is conflicting GL libraries. If you have Mesa installed, it can mess with the NVIDIA libs. Run 'glxinfo' and 'glinfo' and make sure you're using the right ones. TYhe output of 'glxinfo' should include "direct rendering: Yes" if things are working right.

There's no VIA 4-in-1 drivers for linux.

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To get AGP working properly, you need kernel with your chipset AGP support. That might speed things up a little, too.