XP repair help

My laptop crashed and I got the following message

Windows could not start because the following file is
missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTE­M

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows
Setup using the original Setup CD- ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I was in the proceess of a backup but it never completed.

I'm trying to figure out how to

a) backup my laptop data (I have no idea how to do that if I can't boot
into my system)

b) repair my installation. my recovery CD only gives me the option of
wiping my drive which I don't want to do.

c) find out if I can load another version of XP on my system without
wiping my drive. I have WinXP Home (that failed) but I also have a
copy of WinXP Pro which I haven't loaded yet. I was going to try and
install XP Pro on my system and see if I could navigate to my files to
back them up. However, before I preform this I want to be sure that
and basically make it a dual boot system without wiping my files?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm at the end of my rope.

TIA
Billy
3 answers Last reply
More about repair help

    DONT press R at the first screen, press enter, then F* (to agree to the
    EULA)....follow "How to Repair Install" on this page:
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20Repair%20Windows%20XP%20by%20Installing%20Over%20top%20of%20Existing%20Setup:

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    <billyd1970@yahoo.com> wrote in message
[...]

    That F* should read F8 and you want the "How to Run a Repair Install" down
    the page....sorry about that.

    --
[...]

    You'll also have to reinstall all Windows Updates (and possibly Office
    Updates if applicable) afterwards...I'm not awake this a.m.!!

    --
    "Peter" <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net (adjust accordingly)> wrote in message
    > That F* should read F8 and you want the "How to Run a Repair Install" down
    > the page....sorry about that.
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2
    > P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
    > <billyd1970@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My laptop crashed and I got the following message
    >
    > Windows could not start because the following file is
    > missing or corrupt:
    > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTE­M
    >

    > You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows
    > Setup using the original Setup CD- ROM.
    > Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
    >

    > I was in the proceess of a backup but it never completed.
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out how to
    >
    > a) backup my laptop data (I have no idea how to do that if I can't boot
    > into my system)
    >
    > b) repair my installation. my recovery CD only gives me the option of
    > wiping my drive which I don't want to do.
    >
    > c) find out if I can load another version of XP on my system without
    > wiping my drive. I have WinXP Home (that failed) but I also have a
    > copy of WinXP Pro which I haven't loaded yet. I was going to try and
    > install XP Pro on my system and see if I could navigate to my files to
    > back them up. However, before I preform this I want to be sure that
    > and basically make it a dual boot system without wiping my files?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I'm at the end of my rope.
    >
    > TIA
    > Billy

Configuration Windows XP