My laptop crashed and I got the following message

Windows could not start because the following file is
missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTE­M

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows
Setup using the original Setup CD- ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I was in the proceess of a backup but it never completed.

I'm trying to figure out how to

a) backup my laptop data (I have no idea how to do that if I can't boot
into my system)

b) repair my installation. my recovery CD only gives me the option of
wiping my drive which I don't want to do.

c) find out if I can load another version of XP on my system without
wiping my drive. I have WinXP Home (that failed) but I also have a
copy of WinXP Pro which I haven't loaded yet. I was going to try and
install XP Pro on my system and see if I could navigate to my files to
back them up. However, before I preform this I want to be sure that
and basically make it a dual boot system without wiping my files?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm at the end of my rope.

TIA
Billy

peter

DONT press R at the first screen, press enter, then F* (to agree to the
EULA)....follow "How to Repair Install" on this page:
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20Repair%20Windows%20XP%20by%20Installing%20Over%20top%20of%20Existing%20Setup:

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
<billyd1970@yahoo.com> wrote in message
[...]

That F* should read F8 and you want the "How to Run a Repair Install" down
the page....sorry about that.

--
[...]

You'll also have to reinstall all Windows Updates (and possibly Office
Updates if applicable) afterwards...I'm not awake this a.m.!!