Sign in with
Your question

BURNT CHIP ON A HDD CIRCUIT BOARD

Last response: in Storage
September 25, 2012 7:02:38 PM

HELLO.

I have recently connected my samsung external
hdd, internally to my pc.It actually flamed my circuit board with a chip blown.How can i get the circuit board changed.

Warm SA Regards
a c 125 G Storage
September 25, 2012 9:59:25 PM

if the pc mb under warranty you can try and rma it.if not you have to buy a mb and replace it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 288 G Storage
September 26, 2012 8:22:24 AM

Upload it to a file sharing service, then link to it here. But please, could you provide a direct link to the image, without ads, banners, popups, etc.
m
l
September 26, 2012 8:35:04 AM

fzabkar said:
Upload it to a file sharing service, then link to it here. But please, could you provide a direct link to the image, without ads, banners, popups, etc.

Hey, sorry to be a pest, can you give a link to a file sharing service, maybe the one you use.regards
m
l
a b G Storage
September 26, 2012 8:47:02 AM

I'm usually use tinypic.com or postimg.com for image posting / sharing...
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
September 26, 2012 8:54:35 AM

I can't recommend any file sharing services because I've never used any. Instead I use my own web space.

FWIW, I see that a lot of people use ImageShack.
m
l
a c 125 G Storage
September 26, 2012 9:55:15 PM

look on ebay for a dead drive the same model as the one you have now and swap the board.
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
September 26, 2012 10:11:28 PM

Here is a direct link:
http://www.postimg.com/86000/img_0407-85107.jpg

The motor controller chip is damaged. I was hoping that the damage may have been restricted to the two TVS diodes in the bottom right corner, in which case the simple fix would have been to remove the shorted diode.

According to the following guide, a "chip transfer / swap or similar services could be required for newer [Samsung] models".

http://www.donordrives.com/hard-drive-pcb-donor-swap-ma...

Unfortunately in your case there is no discrete flash memory IC. This means that, if a straight PCB swap does not work, and if "adaptive" data need to be transferred from your original PCB to the donor PCB, then you will require a "PCB adaptation service". The above vendor provides such a service for free.

http://www.donordrives.com/services
m
l
September 27, 2012 8:52:16 AM

Thanks guys for help, my problem is i am in South Africa, its a bit of a problem to get in touch with donordrives.My best bet, is to change the board.Do these guys supplier the board only.
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
September 27, 2012 9:03:46 AM

Yes they do.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 27, 2012 11:42:50 AM

Well u could go to local shop that buy used/broken drive, and search if they had same drive as yours that still had good PCB as smorizio said...

But make sure u negotiate to get a good price,...
m
l
October 23, 2012 8:47:54 AM

I have some samsung pcb, contact me for more details.
m
l
!