Sign in with
Your question

XFX 5970 Black Edition crashes win 7 as soon as I install the gfx driv

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2010 9:47:33 AM

First I had those drivers installed(10.5 on the top): http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/...

The screen froze every 1-2 seconds for about 5 seconds, so I deleted them with Driver Sweeper, and installed the older drivers that came with my xfx 5970 BE.

I tried running 3DMark06-->screen goes black, nothing happens-->reset

I tried watching a DVD with divX player-->screen goes black PC makes a continous "burping"-sound-->reset.

The system even crashes sometimes, when I watch videos on youtube. As soon as I install any drivers for my 5970 I get freezes and crashes. Sometimes the screen goes white, sometimes it goes black, in either way I have to reset.

So I finally formatted my X25-M SSD and reinstalled Win 7 again. Same problems as soon as I install any of the drivers for the 5970.

The backplate of the 5970 gets very hot, I can't even touch it. Is my 5970 broken or what could it be?

This is my system:

CPU: 1090T
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89TD Pro/USB3
Graphics Card: XFX 5970 Black Edition
Memory: 4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz G.Skill
Hard Drive: 1x X25-M 80GB 2X SpinPoint F3
Optical Drive: Philips CD/DVD writer
Power Supply: Corsair HX 850W
Display: Samsung SyncMaster 191N 19"
Case: HAF 932
Sound Card: onboard sound
Speakers: Logitech
Operating System: Windows 7 64 Bit Professional
June 11, 2010 2:20:53 PM

is it brand new? could be DOA
June 11, 2010 2:38:54 PM

Have you tried overclock the cards idle clocks?

Yes the card does get hot. It can easily get up to 80C perhaps even which can cause burns. I would advise against touching it.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 11, 2010 6:39:11 PM

What I have tried so far:

I have now for a change Win Vista Business 64 Bit installed, same problems.

I tried installing only the drivers without the catalyst controle center(ccc), didn't work either.

But my system always tells me something like this, when the drivers are installed and the crashes and freezes occur: "driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Guess I'll google a little for other people that had problems with amdkmdap.
June 11, 2010 6:48:29 PM

In addition to my last post, the one above this(I forgot):

-How can I overclock the cards idle clocks? Do I need running drivers for that?

-How can I check my gfx cards temperatures?

-Yes the card is (supposed to be) brand new, what's DOA besides a video game?
June 11, 2010 7:59:17 PM

Make profile file in CCC,after this you can change almost all setings
June 11, 2010 8:34:34 PM

TheAnyKey said:
In addition to my last post, the one above this(I forgot):

-How can I overclock the cards idle clocks? Do I need running drivers for that?

-How can I check my gfx cards temperatures?

-Yes the card is (supposed to be) brand new, what's DOA besides a video game?

1) Don't overclock anything if it's not working first. Always want to make sure you are starting from a stable system.

2) CCC Should show the temperature of the card under the "Overdrive" section in CCC Advanced. If it doesn't, your card is DOA.

3) DOA= Dead On Arrival. You need to return the card to the manufacturer and they will send you a replacement. Check their site for more RMA details.

If neither the 10.5 drivers nor the ones on the CD are working, you need to RMA the card (return to manufacturer).
June 11, 2010 9:36:04 PM

Omniblivion said:
1) Don't overclock anything if it's not working first. Always want to make sure you are starting from a stable system.

2) CCC Should show the temperature of the card under the "Overdrive" section in CCC Advanced. If it doesn't, your card is DOA.

3) DOA= Dead On Arrival. You need to return the card to the manufacturer and they will send you a replacement. Check their site for more RMA details.

If neither the 10.5 drivers nor the ones on the CD are working, you need to RMA the card (return to manufacturer).

Can I use CCC and overdrive without installing the drivers, or in safe mode?

As soon as I install drivers and start windows normally I can't do a thing because of the crashes and freezes.

So it is better to return it to XFX(I guess that is the manufacturer) than to the shop I ordered it?
June 11, 2010 9:54:13 PM

I would try cleansweeping your drivers completely and try the 10.4 drivers. If those don't work, then you need to go to XFX's site and see how to RMA it (how to return it for a new one). The store you bought it from probably won't replace it, they will tell you to RMA it.
June 11, 2010 10:33:02 PM

Omniblivion said:
I would try cleansweeping your drivers completely and try the 10.4 drivers. If those don't work, then you need to go to XFX's site and see how to RMA it (how to return it for a new one). The store you bought it from probably won't replace it, they will tell you to RMA it.

Thanks, I had already installed the 10.4 with no effect for the better.

I changed all "enableulps" in the registry to "0". After that all went well for about 15 minutes and then the errors started again.
June 11, 2010 10:39:29 PM

Depends on the store, the one I go to gives 30 days for replacement and then after that they'll take care of RMA but it's still the manufacturer RMA... usually tho from them I buy the product replacement plan (IPR) so they will just exchange for a new product asap. My monitor had a dead pixel, replaced within minutes. My mobo died after a month, and again got it replaced and even upgraded, for free.

But anyway, looks like it's probably a bad card. Look into return/RMA. I'd check your vendor first just because it might be faster to do it that way.
June 12, 2010 3:05:53 AM

You poor bugger,

Its quite a common problem with no clear fix that basically makes your system useless.

I had this exact same problem with a clients build,

2 days of reformatting, motherboard bios flashes, 4 different video driver series,
switching in and out different video cards, running on integrated graphics.

Only one thing solved it, an exchange of the Asus board for a gigabyte board.
Dont know how dont know why but it worked.

Your only other option worth a shot is to go back to XP. Vista and Win7 both suffer the same problem for no known reason this has been going on since vista days with no clear fix.

Google "video driver has stopped responding"

One issue worth looking at might be this solution
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276896-33-radeon-5750...

If that doesnt work then sorry mate, youve been hit by one of the most pain in the ass system issues ive had in 15 years of building pc's.
!