zyinxz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I'm currently considering of upgrading some part(s) of my PC.

Case : CM Storm Scout
PSU : Silverstone Strider 600W
CPU : AMD Athlon X2 7850 BE 2.8Ghz
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 64MB Cache
Motherboard : Asus M4A78 Pro
Memory : Mushkin Extreme performance 2x2 2GB
Video Card : Asus EAH4870 DK 1GB DDR5
OS Windows WIndows 7 64bit
Speakers : Logitech G51 Surround Sound
Monitors : (Main) Acer AL1916 19" Monitor / Samsung T220 22" HDTV Monitor

For future reference, don't tell me to get Intel CPU please.
I'm considering of getting the AMD Phenom II X4 955/965 but I would like to know if there is actually a major difference between them, and if not, what would you suggest?

I also need to get a cooling fan for the CPU, any suggestions? Before you suggest anything, I want a cooler fan that's tools free and is able to install with your own hands. Sadly, my options are limited since I'm not purchasing it from Newegg. I would be using CanadaComputers only (http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=8_129) Please don't go beyond $80

I'm still not sure what motherboard to go with, or is it not necessary? I'm certain I would still able to use it since the mobo is compatible with AM3, unless I'm wrongly mistaken.

I actually do think the only thing at the moment I need to upgrade is the CPU, BF:BC2 is a CPU Monster Eater making my load at 100% at times.

I would like to hear your opinions what I should upgrade, but currently my main upgrade has to be the CPU. I'm not looking for something extreme, just something like casual gaming wise.

& For the record, I'm also upgrading my 19" Acer monitor to another 22" or 24" in the near future unless the CPU is the only thing I'm upgrading, I would also pick up another monitor when I buy the CPU.

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

i would probably go for an Amd quad core at least. nowadays the Dual cores just cant cut it. i own a Phenom II 955 and yes they are very good CPUs. are you planning on overclocking your CPU? if not or if your only Oc'ing a little bit then dont bother with the CPU cooler. im running mine at 3.8ghz (from 3.2) on stock cooling. as for which Phenom II x4 to get i would go for the 945. instead of the 955 or 965. its a breeze to overclock if you get the black edition and even though its .2ghz less you can easily make that up with overclocking.

more of an issue i see is your GPU. if your getting the third monitor for eyefinity im not sure your GPU is powerfull enough for it. but i would wait and see what kind of fps your getting.

zyinxz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
No I don't plan on combining 3 monitors all at once. I'm only setting up dual monitors for the time being.

I've compared the 945/955 and the only price difference is $10, and it's out of stock where I go & they don't plan on getting any 945. The 955 on the other hand is in stock.

What is your CPU temperature when it's overclocked to 3.8ghz?
The reason I wanted to get an upgraded fan is because of the heat stock fan produces.

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

the highest a Phenom II 955 is suppose to go is 62C i think. and i hit 61C under full stress.. but iv got 3 120mm fans blowing directly at it so its a bit of a shaky setup. you might as well just go for the 955 then if its only a 10$ difference. if you plan on overclocking more than 3.6-3.7ghz i would get the aftermarket cooling.

does the website your getting them from sell OEM Cpu's? if it does you could save a bit of money because they dont come with heatsinks so their less expensive.

You can keep that mobo and RAM, that's the nice thing about AMD. If you want to do some serious OC get the 965/Scythe Mugen-2 Rev.B ($ 47.99). even with an older mobo you should get 4GHz+ easily.

zyinxz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

Sadly, no they don't have OEM CPU's. I rarely find any stores in general actually having OEM CPUs. Is the stock heatsink fairly fine? Or in the near future will it have problems? Does the stock fan make a lot of noise when it's overclocked?

Do you have first hand experience with the Scythe Mugen? I've looked it up and it seems like I would have to use tools for it. Do you know any cooling fan that's easy to install by hands?

It's not a must for me to get up to 4Ghz, but it would be nice to be able to overclock that high but I'm usually not into serious OC'ing until I upgrade some of the important parts in the near future such as computer case(perhaps) but most definitely my PSU since it doesn't have enough power plugs for the extra fans I will install on the CM Storm Scout.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
The stock fan is a jet engine. Even I was annoyed by it and moved to a cooler master hyper 212+, but that does require tools. There are some scythe ones that don't, I was looking at them at microcenter. I don't remember the names though.

zyinxz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

I agree, stock fans just doesn't seem to be as reliable as they used to be in the past. I so far haven't been able to find and nice easy install fans yet, any suggestion off Canada Computers would be a great help!

EDIT: I think I found one that has caught my eye. Scythe YASYA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185143&Tpk=Scythe%20Yasya

Manufacturer Scythe
Model Yasya
Socket Compatibility Intel Mount
LGA775/1156/1366
AMD Mount
Socket AM2/AM3
Heatpipe Count Six "U Shape" Heatpipes
Heatsink Dimensions 130 x 108.5 x 159 (mm)
Fan Dimensions 120 x 120 x 25 (mm)
Fan Speed & Noise Max. Band 740 (±25%) - 1,900 rpm (±10%) 9.8 - 37.0 dBA
Min. Band 470 (±30%) - 1,340 rpm (±10%) 7.05 - 27.3 dBA
Weight 848g
Material Nickel Plated Copper

I've read several reviews regarding it's size and it seems to me it is fairly big. Most of the reviews I've read said that it might interfere with my Ram sticks unless I reposition it. Does anyone think the size of this would be a big problem with a M4A78-Pro Mobo?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
By 'interfere with RAM' they usually mean that it just blocks your access to them. In all seriousness with RAM that has survived the test of whatever time you've had them; and it's already 4 gigs, to that I say, who cares?

The only real question would be if it fits in your case. And it had better in one of the storm cases.

zyinxz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah, it would fit. I don't think the cpu fan would be a problem in my storm case. I'm not exactly sure if they do interfere or not, once I have the day to check the length on my case, I would then get my answer