Random reboot under stress

ViCreeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I bought all the parts for a new PC and after 1 month, it startet rebooting in games. No blue screen or anything. It all startet when my computer startet to freeze in Battlefield: Bad Company 2, after 1-2 weeks it stopped and it startet to reboot instead.
Some days I can play for 30 minutes, then it reboot, and if I try to play again just after a reboot, I am lucky if I can play for 5 minutes. Other days I can play for hours with no reboots at all.
It also happens in other games, and once when I was surfing online

CPU is idle at 29 degrees and GPU at 43 degrees with auto fan speed.

All drivers is up to date. Time for the specs

Processor: Intel i5-750 with a Coolermaster V8 fan
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-USB3
Graphiccard: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870
RAM: OCZ DDR3 - 4x 2 GB
Powersupply: Corsair HX750 W
Main Harddrive: Intel 80 GB solidstate

3 fans (23cm) to keep it nice and cool.

Need some help to find the thing making my computer reboot so often, so I can send it back and get a new one!

Hope to get some good answers :) Cause I really wanna play games again :p

specter800

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
That sounds a lot like heat. If you play for a while and it heats up and reboots, it will still be hot and not take as long to hit dangerous temps again. Did you use the manuacturer's supplied Thermal paste on the heatsink?

ViCreeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

I used the paste following the Coolermaster V8. And I read a lot about it before installing the device. And in HWmonitor it ain't going over 45 Degrees.

ViCreeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

Startet with the GPU stress test.. Used FurMark. It ran for 7 seconds, and then it rebooted !

ViCreeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I had both ATI Catalyst and HWmonitor open. And my GPU was 40 degrees when I started the test. But as I said, the test ran for 7 seconds the first time. After reboot i gave my computer a break, and tried again. But didn't help.

specter800

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
So your GPU is well below danger Temps... Did you run a CPU test? I bet that will be below danger temps as well. It is possible yet unlikely that you are overloading the PSU. Your CPU can hit power consumption of 200W while your video card is also a powerhog. On top of that your heatsink is taking 180W, youve got a lot of power being absorbed. Before going any further tho I think you should go into your bios and check your **RAM Frequency** and any other frequency readings you can find there. I JUST had this problem not 24 hours ago. I highly doubt you will have that problem with ddr3, but my ram was severely underclocked which led to random crashes... i dont think thats the problem tho since your crashes show signs of heat problems

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

so the temp isnt high when the computer reboots? normally i would think the power supply but Corsair 750w should be enough to handle that. unless its eather a faulty Psu or GPU, which i doubt

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

can you test both your power supply and GPU in the old computer at the same time? or try just swapping out the video card in your current computer if you have an old one. then try the stress tests again.

SofaKingWeird

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008

Hey spector800 he's using a V8 not a V10 there's no way that's consuming 180W. I also have the V8 but removed the 69.69 CFM fan that came with it and replaced it with a 110 CFM fan. I'm overclocking my i7-860 to 3.66MHz, I know that's not too impressive but I want to keep it at stock voltage.

I had the same problem in the past and mine turned out to be a bad power supply. It was a PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 860. Really surprised when that failed it was only about 14 months old. I'm betting Power Supply. Good Luck.

ViCreeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Hey everyone.. Must be a Heat problem.. Cause when i tried the test this morning there was no problems. But 2 tests and 1 hour of Battlefield, i tried again, and it rebooted after a few seconds

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

whats the position of all your case fans? also is your room temp ok or is it hot? my best guess now though is that thermal paste on the GPU isnt applied correctly, or theres been a big change in tempurature in your room so its much hotter.

specter800

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

Just went off what I saw on the site, I don't use a coolermaster. Not used to seeing that kind of power consumption. I'm calling heat on this one. I really can't think of anything that would have those symptoms.. The second shutdown being such a short time after the first means the heat hasn't had time to dissipate from the first shutdown. I would go out and buy some Arctic MX-3 or something and re-paste your CPU. it's cheap, easy, and if it doesn't work it narrows the options down significantly.

ViCreeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I think I found the reason my computer reboot.

In bios my PSU give me 12.3 V in +12 V. When I start the computer and use PC Wizard or HWmonitor, it only shows 2.2 in both programs !

Guess its a faulty PSU then after all ?