Sign in with
Your question

Can I put 3 sticks of 4gig in my ASUS P8P67 board?

Last response: in Memory
May 1, 2011 5:00:31 PM

Hi.

I had 8 gig (2x4) of Gskill RAM and one stick "went" bad after 2 weeks or so of building my new system so I'm down to running on 1 stick of 4gigs and everything's running fine. I'm gonna order another (2x4) 8 gigs from Newegg tonight for $84.99 and then RMA the bad stick. I'm just wondering if it'll be possible to put 3 sticks, for a total of 12gigs into an ASUS P8P67 board. The manual says either 1 stick, 2 sticks, or 4 sticks if I'm not mistaken .... or I can just wait till the RMA returns and have 16 gigs! Just wondering about the 3 sticks, but I have no reason to put 3 sticks in.

P.S. I don't think it would be possible, but would running Prime95 have possibly damaged my now "bad" stick of RAM??

a b } Memory
May 9, 2011 4:37:14 AM

It should not create any problem to install 3 sticks. But it would be safe if you spend few bucks more and install 4 sticks to enjoy the best peroformance.
m
l
a b } Memory
May 9, 2011 8:48:43 AM

Buy the two, put them in, wait 'til you get the replacement from the RMA, add the other two. You will probably have to RMA the whole set (assuming it was).
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 9, 2011 10:16:46 AM

keto6789 said:
Just wondering about the 3 sticks, but I have no reason to put 3 sticks in.
P.S. I don't think it would be possible, but would running Prime95 have possibly damaged my now "bad" stick of RAM??
Running Prime95 did not do damage that was not already there.
You can run 3 sticks in a dual channel board but performance does not increase - and sometimes drops slightly.
m
l
!