Sign in with
Your question

Wireless connection list in blank

Last response: in Networking
March 22, 2010 1:07:21 AM

I bought a netbook a short while ago (days). First day, inspecting it, in the wireless connection list, there appeared more than ten. Suddenly, since the next session, it got in blank, even when the right button balloon says that at least one station is available and advice to go to the list (where there is nothing). I have tried every action is adviced in the entire internet, both in English and Spanish with no results at all. I appreciate help. Many thanks and friendly cheers.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 22, 2010 8:01:41 AM

Current laptops tend to have a physical switch on the case for wireless -- ohtres may have an Fn key combination. I assume you've tried that route.

Now have a look in Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and see if the wireless network adapter is shown and enabled or whether it is yellow flagged as faulty.

You might try downloading the latest driver for the adapter either from the laptop maker or wireless adapter chipset maker.

Also check whether you are using the adapter's user interface to control the connection or using Windows.
March 22, 2010 11:43:54 AM

Many thanks. I have a switch in the right front that's blue when connected. I will try the key combination if it was necessary.
Obviously I have already looked for devices and all show without the yellow flag.
I am using windows.
The concrete fact (redundance...) is thatm with the same netbook, in the same place, first day I got a huge list and now, even when the button roght balloon says there are several ones and invites to go to the list, I find the list absolutely empty.
I have reviewed the "services" list cautiously, and have practically enabled all of them to automatic without any result.
I have, at less than 9 feet my PC internet coonection; I need the netbook just for writing in bed. But I am a little obsessive and I cannot accept its current failure.
I got the connections list the day before our earthquake. I havn't heard that my grandchildren or my sons have any trouble, but is it possible that signal could have been damaged? Friendly regards and many thanks.
Related resources
March 23, 2010 11:31:18 AM

No more suggestions?'' Jesus!!!! Cheers and thanks

Quote:
Current laptops tend to have a physical switch on the case for wireless -- ohtres may have an Fn key combination. I assume you've tried that route.

Now have a look in Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and see if the wireless network adapter is shown and enabled or whether it is yellow flagged as faulty.

You might try downloading the latest driver for the adapter either from the laptop maker or wireless adapter chipset maker.

Also check whether you are using the adapter's user interface to control the connection or using Windows.

March 23, 2010 5:54:18 PM

You said earthquake so its possible the other wireless aren't broadcasting. I am assuming that you have a wireless router in your house you are trying to connect to. Have you gone into the setup and made sure that it's setup and didn't revert back to default settings due to a power outage? Is the SSID switch set to broadcast?
Do you get any wireless signals anywhere else away from your house?
March 23, 2010 6:03:24 PM

Dear sturm, No I do not have a router. I am not straightly interested in the connection itslef (I have my connectio to the desk PC at less than 9 feet; I am just comparing what happened the first day and what happens until this moment. Essntially I want to know if something got wrong with the Mini Compaq. Broadcastings, TV, internet and everything related are OK. I have checked everything but I have the suspect that something got wrong. Many thanks. Greetings
March 23, 2010 6:09:57 PM

So do you have a connection on the laptop or not? Just trying to figure out whats going on. As for the wireless signals you saw they may not be broadcasting anymore or they have turned off SSID which shows the wireless name.
Did you have any profiles setup to connect to these wireless networks?
March 23, 2010 6:17:33 PM

Well I have all the devices that came witht the netbook: WZC, LAN, HP, etc. active, and I receive the allert from a balloon right bottom saying that here is at least one connection near inviting me to go to the list. The list maintains in blank. The day I bought the Netbook ths list appeared full of signals. Thanks and greetings.
March 23, 2010 6:33:50 PM

Not sure. It's possible that on the first day conditions were just right that very weak signals were reaching you. Now they aren't. As for the list being empty when it says there's wireless networks, try a refresh. It's also possible that it sees them but the ssid is turned off so therefore the name doesn't show.
March 24, 2010 12:11:43 AM

I fixed the trouble either by uninstalling unuseful trial Norton or by getting automatic almost every service, that I didi simoultaneously. Many thanks again. Obviously I performed the updating click arround a hundred times already.. Friendly cheers.
!