Need to accsess bios set but keyboard wont respond

sbowes74

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Hello,

I am having serious issues with my PC starting up and I have found out Asus have no support for their Motherboard M3A running Windows 7 64 bit OS so I have flattened it and installed Vista 32 bit, this worked well but still with start up issues so I used Asus utilities to update Bios via the internet, updated sucessfully please restart, now a screen titled American Megatrends shows and states it will shut down in 15 seconds.

I have removed the CR2032 battery move the jumper from pin 1 & 2 to 2 & 3 for 15 mins to reset and I can not access the bios, I think because I have a cordless keyboard, what can I do?

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Did you move the jumper back?
Do you have a speaker on the MB? What beep codes is it giving you?

Suspect you now have 2 issues here; corrupted BIOS from not being reset to default prior to updating, and no communication with cordless keyboard.
Re-flash the BIOS per your manual after clearing CMOS again.
I have seen this before and is one of the reasons I recommend only corded keyboards. I had the same issue with my cordless mouse, and so keep a corded one handy for repairing other machines.
You may need to get a corded keyboard.

sbowes74

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
@Noworldorder

Thank you for your response,

I will read my manual to see which is my MB speaker port,

Yes I have put the Jumper back to 1 & 2 and was I right to remove the battery before doing this, confused me a little to remove the battery first then move the Jumper, how does the MB know I have done this with no power going through it in anyway?

Re-flashing the bios I wouldn't know how to do it as I don't have a Floppy drive and of course I can't enter the bios settings to alter the settings to read from a USB stick. You said to reset the bios before updating, this makes sense now you mention it but it's disappointing Asus utility didn't prompt me to do this whilst using their update facility, as for having a corded key board I'm afraid you could be right but it is a cost I could well do without.