ampLitude

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
So my mother has decided to finally trash her 4 year old laptop as it just could not handle her real-estate website and multi-tasking needs. I'm looking to get her a new computer for her birthday which works for her for as little as possible.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Anytime within the next month.

BUDGET RANGE: The cheaper the better, but I'm going to go from 250-400 CAD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Surfing the internet(Toronto-MLS), Microsoft Office, Windows Media Player

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Already have a wireless mouse/keyboard, operating system(win 7 ultimate64bit), speakers, and a 19 inch monitor.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any as long as it can deliver to Ontario, Canada with minimal fees
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Ontario, Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: No brand preferences

OVERCLOCKING: If I need too.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Don't think I will need either.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Have a monitor

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would like a quiet running PC doesn't need to be clear or full of lights, if it is the cheaper one then go for it.

Thanks in advance! Let me know if I have filled out anything wrong, this is my first post and hopefully not my last! :)

That's an extremely low budget for building your own. I know it's difficult to get anything build for under $400 US, and you guys get absolutely screwed on the prices of cases and PSUs. I'd check out some prebuilts.

Here's the best I can do:

CPU/Mobo: X3 440 and MSI 785G-E53 $160 before 15 USD rebate ($145 in total)
RAM: Crucial 2x1 GB 1066 mhz CAS Latency 7 $50
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB $57
PSU: Corsair 400W $56 before 20 USD rebate ($36 in total)
Case: GIGABYTE gz-ph1a3 $17
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $20

Total: $393 after rebates with shipping, plus the ridiculous taxes you guys pay.

ampLitude

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
So there are cheaper options than building our own? Sorry for my ignorance but I had heard that building your own computer was cheaper than buying from retail lol. If there are cheaper options or for the same price but better in a package then I can certainly go for it.

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

well it is cheaper because you are getting a nice parts, a manufacturer gives some cheap @ss motherboard, some cheap @ss CPU and try and make it look all fast but its not. and you pay the same price.. so.. nah building is cheaper

With extremely low budgets (generally 500-600 USD), it's usually cheaper to get a prebuilt. Like Mr Pizza said, you do sacrifice some quality there, but you get support with it. Building it yourself is good if you have very specific needs (gaming, rendering, etc.), a mid to high budget, a desire to swap out parts or just want the experience.