Sign in with
Your question

Are these temps for real?

Last response: in CPUs
September 20, 2010 1:51:55 AM

My ASUS p6t x58 is possibly failing. But my CPU might be failing now too. I'm not sure if it's both or either. If my motherboard is failing, can I trust the CPU temp read outs?

When I start up my computer, my CPU reads 60* C and after 10 minutes it is up to 85* C. If I do a simple disk defrag at 85* C on a nearly empty drive it goes up to 98* C. It then goes back down to 80* C and stays there. I haven't tried running movies or games yet, because it used to be at 40* C to start.

It's only been on 10 minutes. And it starts out at 60*? I'm using Speccy to monitor the temps. Could my motherboard be reporting the temps wrong?

It's a i7 920, not overclocked. My HDD recently failed, or so I thought, but now I'm having more problems and I'm wondering if it's the motherboard. Trying to troubleshoot it and am worried it's the mobo and the cpu.

What can I do? I have all the fans running.

More about : temps real

a c 791 à CPUs
a c 1036 V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 2:29:00 AM

Have you checked the temps in BIOS? Third party utilities have been wrong before.
September 20, 2010 3:43:48 AM

Hi rolli59, thanks for replying. I checked them and the BIOS says it's also about 85* C. Whoa? I have all of my fans going (2 80 mm and 2 120 mm) at 1200 RPM or so.

What can I do? Replace the heat sink or something? How can I know if my cpu isn't already damaged? Because if it was going 85* C with nothing going on, well I normally run a 3DS Max, watch a movie and have a game toolset open all at once, so I guess no wonder my HDD crashed.

How can I tell if my motherboard and CPU are not also borked?
Related resources
September 20, 2010 3:47:41 AM

try reseating the heat sink. you're not the only one with a heat problem as I'm having one with my Q9650.
September 20, 2010 7:57:39 AM

I'm gonna ditch my old Smilodon case for an Antec 900 + nonstock fans for the air flow too, I think. Plus gonna reseat the HSF and reapply thermal paste.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 1:44:31 PM

Looked at your configuration - Did not see what HSF you are using.
If it is the stock HSF from Intel - ditch it!, get a 3rd party HSF, preferably one with a backing plate.

Also, if you are using one with the push-pins, there is a good posibility one of the pins is loose, Would try pulling, clean thermo paste and reattach HSF, Until you can replace it with one with a backing plate.

Not sure from post, which temp you are looking at. Have you looked at the individual core temps - are all four core temps about the same.

How is your vcore voltage, has it increased?
!