Sign in with
Your question

Building a new gaming rig!

Last response: in Systems
July 20, 2010 2:46:26 PM

Hello everyone! My husband and I want to build a new gaming computer, with a 3.5k canadian$ budget tax included. My last computer was purchased at ncix about 2.5 years ago, and I was planning on doing the same with this one. I basically wanted to play the newest games, mainly crysis and just want a 3 year future proof computer.

Here's the stuff:
b]Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 6 Core LGA1366 Gulftown 3.33GHZ 12MB [/b]

ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA1156 P55 ATX DDR3 1PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 2PCI USB3.0 SATA 6GB Sound GBLAN Motherboard

Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/4G 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kit

SLI GeForce GTX 480 700MHZ 1536MB GDDR5 3.696GHZ PCI-E Dual DVI-I Mini HDMI

Cooler Master Haf 932 Full Tower EATX Case 6X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PSU USB eSATA 1394 Audio - Black

Antec Truepower Quattro 1000W Power Supply ATX V2.2 EPS12V 20/24PIN Active PFC 80PLUS 2X8PIN PCI-E

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 High Performance CPU Cooler System

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 24BIT Sound Card 7.1

I had a few questions;

First, is the mobo good enough to support the rig? Is it the bottleneck component? If not what's the bottleneck of this machine?
Also, should I get more than 4 gigs of ram?
I know the 480s are noisy and have huge power consumption, should I be more looking into CF 5970 / CF 5870?

So far this costs around 3.4k on ncix (didnt include blueray reader / win7)

I got a cooling system cause of the huge temps the SLI GPUs can reach, but I really dont know anything about what type / brand of cooling system is ideal. Also, ncix won't tell if, for example, the mobo isnt ideal for this setup so I dont want a buggy machine, I want components that fit well together!

Sorry for the long post and thanks alot for any help.

More about : building gaming rig

July 20, 2010 2:55:22 PM

You cant use a P55 board with an i7 9xx CPU, the sockets dont match. I dont think you need an i7 980X, unless you are doing a work station and absolutely need that processing power today its a waste, you will get similar gaming performance with an i7 930 that you OC. You might want to check out newegg for the combos on some parts, i found a good board combo'ed with an i7 930
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Item...

For the x58 boards, you want a triple channel kit, i suggest the gskill pi series, they are fast with good timings and low voltage
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

The h50 isnt too good of a cooler, you can get better results with a good air cooler for less. The HAF 932 should be enough to keep everything cool, if you think you might need more cooling the HAF X is the next step up.
m
l
July 20, 2010 3:09:09 PM

For purely gaming, the i5 750 is quite good. But since your budget is quite big, going with an i7 is a good choice.

I totally agree with hunter315, the 980X is way overkill. That is a multi threading beast meant for hardcore professional programs (video editing/encoding, large data crunching etc).

For gaming the i7 930 or even the 920 will be more than enough. The X58 chipset has a few advantages over the P55, but mostly only if you are going for a big OC or plan on sticking in more than 2 graphics cards.

You don't really need triple channel RAM for the X58, as it does support dual channel. The performance difference is minimal in gaming - little bigger in RAM dependant things (3D design, CAD type stuff, audio/video editing). However, it's not a lot more money so it's probably worthwhile to just do it and get triple channel.

The GTX 480 is a really good card. On it's own it'll manage almost any game maxed out. A 5970 is better and more efficient/cooler. On the other hand, if you want better bang for you buck, CF5850s are better than a 5970 or CF5870s are even better. If you want to stick to Nvidia, you could do SLI 470s but they have the same issues as the 480 (heat/noise). I think the new GTX 460 in SLI would be a great choice, as it will perform around CF5850/5870s (depends on the games). Pretty much all these cards have OC head room. The GTX 460s look like they can OC quite a bit, and I know from experience 5850s can OC a ton. Just FYI, my OCed CF5850s run any game so far at absolute max settings with 50+ FPS.
Also, depending on the games you play, some have PhysX GPU acceleration support which you can only get on an Nvidia card. I bought a cheap GT240 for PhysX to go with my CF5850s, but if you get an NV card as the main renderer then you'll have it from the get go. Note that there's only like 11 games that support it, however, some of them are really good (Cryostasis, Metro 2033, Batman: AA, Mirror's Edge are the best I've played with it)
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2010 3:26:32 PM

Thanks alot for the replies. Would I need an additional cooling system for CF5870s? And I'm guessing the performance of those is slightly behind SLI 480s, although producing less heat and less greedy in power? Also, which mobo would support the 980X (my husband insists on having the best possible CPU!)

And I was also planning on playing Metro 2033 / Cryostasis.

So far I'm tempted on the CF5870s, but I read that the 28nms GPUs werent too far ahead so I'm still hesitating...

Finally I was reading that there were 5870s with 1GB and others with 2GB, but on ncix it seems they're only seeling 1GBs...any thoughts on that?

Again, thank you!
m
l
July 20, 2010 4:07:18 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
July 20, 2010 7:51:15 PM

Also, does SLI 470s > CF 5870s ??

I try to read as many threads as I can for information but it really doesn't seem clear
m
l
!