TheBlaze

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I am at my wits end over this. I built several computers in the past before and it all ran well except for this one.

Whenever I connect the power cord to the power supply, the motherboard and the system turns on automatically when I throw the rocker switch on. But that's not supposed to happen because that's just to let electricity go to the system and only the main power button is supposed to turn the PC on.

Now the power switch does nothing. I don't know whether I put the connector in the wrong place.

The pins go like this on the Front Panel Connector JFP1:

2. Power LED (+)/4. Power LED (-) /6. Power Switch (+)/8. Power Switch (-)/10.No Pin (First row of 4 pins with one empty space after #10)

1. HDD LED (+)/3. HDD LED (-)/5. Reset Switch (-)/7. Reset Switch (+)/9. Reserved (Second row of 5 pins)

The power switch connector on the PC case is a single 4 pin connector with a Red/White/Green/Black wires and one at the end that's an empty space. I've tried many configurations.

The only way to turn off the PC is to turn off the switch on the back of the power supply. Shut Down in Windows only makes it turn off but automatically restarts.

How can I fix this and make it so only the power switch on the PC case turns on the computer?

Solution
You may have a short somewhere, if the green wire on the 24 pin connector managed to find a short to ground it would automatically boot up the system

TheBlaze

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

Ah, I think I figured it out. It's wasn't the 24 pin connector or the motherboard or power supply that's faulty. When I put the motherboard and everything into another PC case, it runs fine and turns on/off by the right power switch.

Looks like it just doesn't like the other one cause the screw sockets make it so that the back of the motherboard itself touches the metal of the case (the other motherboard that runs fine in it has plastic legs on the back and doesn't actually come into contact). I'm guessing that's the reason for the electrical disturbances. On the second case, the board screws in without touching metal.

TRENDING THREADS