Sign in with
Your question

Higest Setup That Will Max CS:S

Last response: in Systems
July 20, 2010 7:56:43 PM

Hi, I know this is a weird question, but I would like to know what the MAX setup I would need (not recommended setup, there’s a difference) to have ALL the options enabled, AA, AF, 1280x1024 etc etc.. Basically every option available in the setup menu, and advanced menu.

This setup will also need to run the game at least 60FPS+ with all the settings maxed out, with the latest update from steam etc etc. Will the following setup MAX out the game, and still get 60FPS?

CPU: Pentium 4 3.2Ghz 2MB Cache 65nm
RAM: 1GB DDR2 800Mhz
GPU: 8600GTS (DDR3 OC'd edition)

Will I need to upgrade the ram to 1.5GB's perhaps? Will I need a more powerful GPU... etc.

Please advise. Thanks!

More about : higest setup max

July 20, 2010 8:08:03 PM

I'm just going to say that you could get about 2GB of ram pretty cheap which would give you an increase in fps. Simplest upgrade in my opinion of course.
July 20, 2010 8:10:37 PM

n00b question, but what does CS:S mean?
Related resources
July 20, 2010 8:20:20 PM

CoolMoose said:
n00b question, but what does CS:S mean?

Counter Strike: Source :) 
July 20, 2010 8:20:53 PM

mailmanlove said:
I'm just going to say that you could get about 2GB of ram pretty cheap which would give you an increase in fps. Simplest upgrade in my opinion of course.

So you say the GPU will max the game out fully, all advanced settings and still get 60fps+?
July 20, 2010 8:21:14 PM

counter strike: source.

As for your question don't think people will really know. That game is a bit ancient to have good testing done to find the min specs to max it out.

If that's you're current setup and you aren't maxing the game out, then I recommend upping ram to at least 2gb, and if still no, then switching to a core 2 duo if you've got a socket 775 mobo.
July 20, 2010 8:47:52 PM

banthracis said:
counter strike: source.

As for your question don't think people will really know. That game is a bit ancient to have good testing done to find the min specs to max it out.

If that's you're current setup and you aren't maxing the game out, then I recommend upping ram to at least 2gb, and if still no, then switching to a core 2 duo if you've got a socket 775 mobo.

The only reason I ask is, 12 of us will be setting up a CS:S LAN war for 3 months, and I am in charge of building the systems with second hand goods from eBay. We are missing a few key components like CPU and GPU, all the systems have 1GB of DDR2 800Mhz ram in them, and I wanted to know what else we need to max it out. I just didn't want to jump to C2D's if I could get Pentium 4 HT's for half the price, and still get it maxed. I want to save as much as I can, that’s why I asked what the min is to max the game.

It will be a stake of 50 bucks a head, so the pot has around $500 for the winner, so it is pretty serious. I'm trying to save as much as money as I can, but get the best JUST for this game.

Would anyone that plays it / played it on perhaps an older system verify if they where able to max it out, and if so, what setup was it on?

Thanks!
July 23, 2010 8:03:30 PM

Hey, well I play CS:S consistently, but I'm not sure what the min is to max it.

This is valve's recommendation, not minimum:
"Recommended: Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card"

This is pretty vague as all recommendations are, but probably fine... I'm curious as to why you want to MAX the game out, when all you're doing is buying cheap computers to get by.

You could easily lower image quality, and get smooth framerates... in fact that's what .cfg's like casey's config are for, lowering quality and disabling all unnecessary options for maximum fps, resulting in flawless gameplay.

EDIT: A friend has an 8600GTS that I replaced, but beforehand, I played CS:S and it could not max it out. When you would encounter many people at the same time and grenades were going off, it would stutter slightly... It was a C2D also.
!