Wireless Internet Access via Cingular Wireless cell phone

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 11, 2004 8:28:34 PM

Hi all,
a quick question, what is the cheapest way to get my notebook to be able to
dial onto the internet via my Cingular V90 cellphone to connect to my normal
ISP (Sonic.net in California). I have seen Cingular has a PCMCIA wireless
card that can be used BUT it seems this is part of a signup plan with them.
Anyone got some tips on this, all I really need is a connection to collect
email when on the move.
Patrick
November 11, 2004 9:20:04 PM

Patrick;

I have Sprint, and for $5 per month extra, you can have data access
via your cellphone. Speed is very slow, 9600 baud or less is normal.
My Motorola phone uses a serial port, but most of the newer phones use
USB as the laptops nowadays don't have serial ports. I use this only
for emergency backup for my main T-Mobile system. I use a Socket
PCMCIA serial card in my Thinkpad for the serial port, which connects
to the Motorola phone via the serial data cable.

For $30 per month you can get unlimited Internet access with T-Mobile,
but it's not a dialup system so you couldn't dial into your ISP and
get your E-Mail, you would have to use their Web Mail access; since
when you connect you are directly into the net with about 56K speeds,
same speeds as a dial up modem. Instead of buying the $300 T-Mobile
or Sony cards from T-Mobile, you can get a T-Mobile G100 Merlin
wireless PCMCIA card off Ebay for about $80 total, and have it
activated by T-Mobile for $35. You only have to sign a 1 year
contract, but it's 24 hour unlimited account for $30/month. I have
yet to find a location where it wouldn't connect, but I don't usually
go into remote areas.

You can often get the "Data Connect" kits for your cellphone cheaper
off the Web stores than from your cell provider. Kit consists of data
cable and software CD and instruction manual. I paid over $50 for
this kit from Sprint, but didn't know I could get it off web stores.

Some phones are already built into Windows XP (Sprint PCS is), and
with the data cable and the correct INIT string you can use your
cellphone just like any other modem, but you do have to have the Data
service from you cell provider. Somehow they can tell when you try to
use a modem over the cell phone and they want to charge you extra for
the "priveledge".

Jim

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:28:34 GMT, "Patrick" <patrick@patrick.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
> a quick question, what is the cheapest way to get my notebook to be able to
>dial onto the internet via my Cingular V90 cellphone to connect to my normal
>ISP (Sonic.net in California). I have seen Cingular has a PCMCIA wireless
>card that can be used BUT it seems this is part of a signup plan with them.
>Anyone got some tips on this, all I really need is a connection to collect
>email when on the move.
>Patrick

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 12, 2004 12:49:44 AM

"Patrick" <patrick@patrick.com> wrote in message
| Hi all,
| a quick question, what is the cheapest way to get my notebook to be able
| dial onto the internet via my Cingular V90 cellphone to connect to my
normal
| ISP (Sonic.net in California). I have seen Cingular has a PCMCIA wireless
| card that can be used BUT it seems this is part of a signup plan with
them.
| Anyone got some tips on this, all I really need is a connection to collect
| email when on the move.
| Patrick

Dialing in can be done if CSD is enabled on your account, but is terribly
slow ... only 9600. If your phone is GPRS capable (not familiar with the
V90), you can get unlimited data for $20/month. The speed of GPRS is roughly
that of dial-up. In my experience, I average around 50kbps or so.
a b D Laptop
November 12, 2004 6:20:25 AM

"Patrick" wrote:
> what is the cheapest way to get my notebook to be able to dial
> onto the internet via my Cingular V90 cellphone to connect to
> my normal ISP (Sonic.net in California). I have seen Cingular
> has a PCMCIA wireless card that can be used BUT it seems this
> is part of a signup plan with them. Anyone got some tips on
> this, all I really need is a connection to collect email when
> on the move.

I'm not sure if or how you can do what you want, dialing in to your
normal land-line ISP. For years I looked for a similar solution for
my old Sprint PCS phone, hoping to be able to connect to an existing
AOL or CompuServe dialup account. It was futile. It seemed the only
available options were connecting via the cell provider as ISP -- for
a fee, of course. But I only needed a connection infrequently, so
being locked into an extra monthly fee tacked onto my cellphone bill
was unacceptable.

I recently switched from Sprint to Verizon, partly because Verizon now
provides this Internet connection option at no extra fee. I did have
to buy an overpriced connecting cable (cellphone to USB port, $39),
and it's only 14.4kbps, but it doesn't cost extra (other than the
connection time counting as normal voice minutes on my monthly plan).
With many hotels now providing high-speed broadband ethernet access, I
don't need the Verizon connection very often, so this is ideal. And
it really works -- just last Sunday I was checking email and uploading
webpage updates while traveling down I-5 in Oregon (no, my wife was
driving) ... it was slow, but I've got unlimited weekend minutes, you
know. <g>

I realize this doesn't help you with Cingular, but just thought it
might provide some perspective.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 12, 2004 11:04:27 PM

wrote:

>Hi all,
> a quick question, what is the cheapest way to get my notebook to be able to
>dial onto the internet via my Cingular V90 cellphone to connect to my normal
>ISP (Sonic.net in California). I have seen Cingular has a PCMCIA wireless
>card that can be used BUT it seems this is part of a signup plan with them.
>Anyone got some tips on this, all I really need is a connection to collect

don't know about your phone. I have a Nokia 6340i with Cingular that
has an infrared port on it. I installed the driver from Nokia and can
dial anywhere with the maximum sped of 9600 baud. It isn't great, but
it beats 0 baud. Price is right too, costs me nothing except minutes
I use take away from regular minutes.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 13, 2004 6:59:16 AM

Thanks for all the great info.
Much appreciated
Patrick
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 14, 2004 12:17:49 AM

"Patrick" <patrick@patrick.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> a quick question, what is the cheapest way to get my notebook to be able
> dial onto the internet via my Cingular V90 cellphone to connect to my
normal
> ISP (Sonic.net in California). I have seen Cingular has a PCMCIA wireless
> card that can be used BUT it seems this is part of a signup plan with
them.
> Anyone got some tips on this, all I really need is a connection to collect
> email when on the move.
> Patrick

I have Verizon, but I would bet Cingular works the same way. The connection
I get is a connect to the Internet. You can get your email from your ISP
the same way you do now. Simply start the Internet connection. Then start
your mail program. It will connect to your ISP's POP mail server, log in as
it does when you use the ISP's dial up connection.
!