Sign in with
Your question

Pc shuts off randomly

Last response: in Motherboards
May 2, 2011 1:16:29 PM

Hi all, this is my first post :D 

I need your help...
My pc shuts off randomly, often in Idle, after hours of use or few minutes. After shutting off if I try to restart, the PC seems to turn on (either the fans than the various LED on mobo start), but it shuts off again after a few seconds. I am able to reuse it only after some hours.

This is my config.

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 (official site link)
PHENOM II X4 955 Bl.Ed C3
Kingston HyperX DDR3 4GB KHX1333C7D3K2/4G (official site link)
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD5770 VGA 1024MB
WD CAVIAR BLACK 500GB
CoolerMaster Real Power 520W

Bios and drivers are updated and downloaded from Asus official site
The PC is not subject to surge cause I've got an UPS
The temperatures are in the norm
Never overclocked

I had a chance to mount my mobo + ram on a friend's pc and the error has returned after a few days! Unfortunately, his pc was equipped with DDR2 memory and I didn't find any DDR3 on loan to understand which one between the mobo and the ram is broken... :fou: 
Then I swapped the ram modules, I started several memtests and with all configurations resulted 2 pass with no errors! My memories are not in the mobo list of the certified ones, but they should be compatible! And if not, why my pc should be fine for a few days and then suddenly crash? :pt1cable: 

I think this is a mobo problem ... don't you?

More about : shuts randomly

May 2, 2011 2:51:41 PM

even though you have a UPS it might be your PSU. If the memory is not on the list theres a reason for it. Its not the brand thats excluded from the mobo, but probably that brand doesnt have a product that is fully compatible with specific mobos. I have asus and i got that brand listed in the instructions.

Cooler Master has some bad reviews and reputation. You might want to do some research to see what you find.

does this happens a lot or sometimes?
May 2, 2011 8:21:38 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply :D 

The problem happened the first time after 2 weeks I builded the config. but currently about once a day... You said it might be my PSU but then why does the problem persist with my friend's PSU too?

His config. which I linked my mobo and ram was:

PHENOM II X4 965 Bl.Ed
Sapphire Radeon HD5670 VGA 512MB
WD SEAGATE 320GB
Enermax liberty 400W, with 30A split on 2 +12V lines

and after 2 days the same problem occurred...

So do you think before I send the mobo in RMA it's absolutely necessary to test it with other certified memories?
Related resources
May 3, 2011 3:06:55 AM

Contact asus before you return it, they'll ask a couple questions and try to troubleshoot with you in the phone. When you tell them that the RAM is not listed they will blame it on the RAM. Try changing RAM, do memtest. In my experience usually you get BSOD when is the ram or GPU. The mobo and psu failure symtoms are somewhat similar. Try to isolate as many components as possible before sending the mobo back.
May 3, 2011 9:57:58 AM

Ok, thanks for your support! ;) 
May 3, 2011 1:56:53 PM

sounds more a PSU problem considering your graphics card requires 450 w alone to run your friends PSU is not really up to the job. By idle do you mean sleep mode as it is always best to turn this off as it normally messes with the system.
May 3, 2011 4:05:23 PM

I swapped only my board and ram into my friend's case, so his PSU was going to power his own gonfig. (VGA, HD, ecc.) except for my board+ram...
So since his system never gave trouble before, I suppose that the problem might be on my mobo+ram block

By idle I mean (my mistake) when pc is not under stress like surfing the net, reading Word document, etc.
!