Computer won't boot windows if it's shutdown or put to sleep.

jcmp920

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Hello everyone,

This is my first time writing on the forums (although I've read a number of threads) and I'm very much hoping that with all your combined knowledge you can help me.

I am having a unique problem it seems where if my computer is put to sleep, restarted or is shut down, it will no longer boot windows. It will go as far as the Windows loading screen, but then the screen goes black and i get a picture that has no video signal. The computer will still start in safe mode so I have tried to start with only basic drivers but that doesn't seem to work either. The only solution I've been able to consistently use is tedious and inconvenient, and that is to either reformat and reinstall windows, or to restore via a system image. My assumption is that it has to do with my recent raid 0 configuration but I can not hone in on the issue. If I leave the computer running everything works fine but should I need to shut down or restart the problem reappears.

My configuration is as follows:

Maximux IV Extreme-Z
Intel Core I7-2600k @3.4Ghz
EVGA GTX 690
Corsair Force 3 60gb x2 in Raid 0
WD Caviar Black 7200rpm 1tb
ASUS BW-12B1ST
Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR3 RAM
Corsair 950-Watt TX Series

tomatthe

Distinguished
Well just based on what you said, start by removing that raid 0 set, and just install Windows to one drive and see if that works properly.

Those force 3 drives are absolutely terrible imo, went through 3 of those in less then a year. I would make 100% sure you have the latest firmware on them.

Mausiness

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I got my computer (custom build, put together at a very good local shop) just over a year ago now and I've been having the same problem since about 4 months into having it. At first it was every so often, and then it became pretty much 80% of the time I'd try switching it on.

Occasionally start up repair would try to fix it.

I had the guys at the shop test it and they found no hardware errors or anything and said it was an issue with windows - that one of the files was missing/broken or something. I wish I'd written down what they'd said.

I also started getting page-error-in-unpaged-area BSODs.

So I finally reinstalled windows a few weeks ago and it was fine. Until all the sodding updates. I'd reinstalled before getting an internet connection and so of course first time I was reconnected I had 119 updates to install at the end of that day.

Since then I've been having the same issue - hell before posting this I'd had to restart about 6 times.

It doesn't like standby or sleep, either, so I had to set my power saving settings so that the monitor never went off and whatnot.

I do not have the same set up as jcmp920 - I'm using a Western Digital as my OS drive, got all my stuff on a slave (my Hitachi, which has no OS on whatsoever).

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.30Ghz
Gigabyte tech. H61M-USB3-B3
GeForce 460 (had no other issues, aside from one off blue screen)
Corsair DDR3 RAM

And I'd have to look up anything else, since I can't remember atm.