Sign in with
Your question

What should i buy? sound card or ssd?

Last response: in Components
September 20, 2010 4:56:21 PM

i'd like to get either a ssd or a sound card.my motherboard is a asus p6x58D premium.
how is the p6x58d's onboard sound compared to the x-fi titanium fatality editions?
and is it worth it going championship and not pro for front panel ports?
and if ssd option is better choice,then what ssd should i get? 64mb g.skill phoenix? or crucial realssd 64gb or 128gb option?
i do plan on going ssd sometime later anyways,and i just want to launch apps and boot from the ssd and not copy anything else or do file handing with the ssd. im going for gaming build,thats why i want the pc to give dedicated sound and turn off onboard sound in bios to boost up some more performance and turn temps down a bit more with inactive soundbox (temp freak,going to overclock mad),and all games will be launched from the wd caviar black.so please tell me what i should get,ssd or sound card?

as im going to launch and run games from the wd caviar hdd,do i even need the ssd? (i rarely turn my pc off btw) and as for faster app loading...just how necessary would it be to have an ssd when i rarely turn pc off and only thing i'll prolly do with ssd is launch firefox or a web browser? would i even be able to tell the difference in surfing or launching small program apps from ssd or the hdd? (7200rpm,64mb)

and as for the sound card,is the front panel of the fatality champ worth it? (freeing up mobo area as champ editions have front 5.25 bay where sound card is on THERE instead of usual pci-e slot from mobo between two heating 5770 on x-fire and creating more heat :D  or should i just buy pro as extra heat from sound card doesnt matter much?

More about : buy sound card ssd

September 20, 2010 5:28:56 PM

Well i would wait a couple of months for the next gen ssd's which will likely drop the current crop down in price.
The best ssd's are Intel and OZC imo.
As for a sound card i bought an Auzentech Forte which has all the features and more of even the most expensive Fatal1ty and is cheaper.
AuzenTech Forte Low Profile PCI-E 7.1 Sound Card PCI-E Dolby Digital Live Headphone AMP -$116.07 after mir
http://www.ncixus.com/products/35596/AZTXFF7105551/Auze...
Btw i've seen Ncix sell it even cheaper like $90 after mir
m
l
September 21, 2010 2:07:35 AM

Sorry, I never consider sound in my gaming rigs and go with just onboard. In fact I usually turn it off during gameplay so it won't be a distraction and I can concentrate on what I need to do. You'd be surprised how less stressful a game can be with the sound off, and how much better you do.

So my vote is for SSD. LoL
m
l
Related resources
September 21, 2010 2:30:28 AM

Do you have great speakers? If you do a dedicated sound card may help. Unless you have a $300 set of speakers on board sound is good enough.

The SSD will put snap into the computer, A traditional hard drive is the only part of a computer that really has not increased in speed over the years.because they are still using technology from the 50s. Yes they have increased in size over the years but if the speed of hard drives increased with the other components, We would have Windows loaded in 2 seconds.

Some people complain about Windows boot time and application load time and most of the time its the hard drive. A SSD would be the best Upgrade for that computer.
m
l
September 21, 2010 2:31:47 AM

popatim said:
Sorry, I never consider sound in my gaming rigs and go with just onboard. In fact I usually turn it off during gameplay so it won't be a distraction and I can concentrate on what I need to do. You'd be surprised how less stressful a game can be with the sound off, and how much better you do.

So my vote is for SSD. LoL

^lol, lack of sound would be detrimental to my cod4 performance. Inability to hear shots, footsteps etc.

Anyways, another one for the SSD. I currently have an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB (Sandforce). Great drive. I also launch most of my games off of my WD Black. Except cod4 I keep on my SSD for fast map loads in lan games. And Duke Nukem because the level load times are slow normally.

SSD worth the price? Not in my opinion currently. But unless you have a really nice sound system or want to rip vinyl records, I can't see the advantage of a dedicated sound card.

If you do get a good sound card, get the one suggested by ace123. My one friend ordered a card for his badass sound system and to rip vinyl records 24-bit. I'm 80% that's the exact card he ordered. I don't know much about sound cards but he seemed to.
m
l
!