Fastest ram that can be supported by a cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonfly522

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I have learned some things about the relationship between the cpu and ram, and I still have a question about it. I want to buy one of the amd 6 core cpus, probably the 1090t black edition or the 1055t. I would like to know the fastest speed that the ram can be supported by the cpu. When I look at pricewatch bundles, all of the manufacturers/outlets only have the 1333MHz ram available in the bundle according to my memory researching.

Solution
What that means is that the board is capable of setting the ram to 1600 speed. It wont care or test if your memory is compatible so please be sure to know how to reset your cmos/bios before you attempt this. Also please note that some motherboards cannot run in dual channel memory configuration while the memory is OC'd due to chipset limitations. Loosing dual channel would be a bigger loss then have to stick with 1333 speed instead of 1600 for what its worth.

dragonfly522

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
when I look at the ads the specs on the mobos will sometimes read things like 1600(OC). I know that OC means overclocked. But I am wondering if this means that the ram on that mobo is capable of being overclocked to 1600 in that instance. Thx for the advice so far btw.

popatim

Titan
What that means is that the board is capable of setting the ram to 1600 speed. It wont care or test if your memory is compatible so please be sure to know how to reset your cmos/bios before you attempt this. Also please note that some motherboards cannot run in dual channel memory configuration while the memory is OC'd due to chipset limitations. Loosing dual channel would be a bigger loss then have to stick with 1333 speed instead of 1600 for what its worth.

Solution

dragonfly522

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

thx for the info, popatim. since the motherboard specs sometimes list 1600 with the OC next to it, I suspect that it means that if the 1333 were overclocked, that the motherboard would support it. just a guess, though

dragonfly522

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

Are you saying that I might need to reset my cmos/bios if I overclock my ram too much? Also, my understanding is that the OC letters after the supported ram speed spec of the board mean that the chipset on that board supports the ram being overclocked to the extent that it will keep its dual channel status? The cmos are the pins, usually on the corner of the board, with plastic covers that can be taken on and off to reset it, right? If so, is there a universal way to reset it or will my board come with instructions on how to do that? I would only need to reset the bios if my memory was overclocked too high, causing a crash, right? If so, do I reset it in the bios or how do I do it? I understand if you only want to answer one or two of my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.