Sign in with
Your question

$500 general purpose PC need advice on parts

Last response: in Systems
July 21, 2010 1:12:07 AM

Hi, This is my first build and I'm having difficulty picking out parts and need some recommendations

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within the month

BUDGET RANGE: $500 can stretch the budget to $650

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, schoolwork

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: no preference

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768, possibly get a better monitor in the future. would rather leave monitor expenses out of this build

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: First build ever, not too tech savvy on hardware, still learning by reading the forums. I've looked at the gpu's and cpu's that I would like to use but not sure if there's anything better for around the same price. What I want or expect from this build is something that can play MW2 on medium settings nothing too fancy, starcraft2,company of heroes and prospectively guildwars2. Going to be using this for gaming as well as schoolwork. most likely want to upgrade gpu or cpu in the future. would also like to minimize the cost. Thanks.

PNY VCGGT2405G5XEB GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3530
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

July 21, 2010 2:39:05 AM

Well my question now is, could i stick with my choices for the cpu and gpu?I would really like to have 3 or 4 cores but i can opt for 2 cores. being that my purchase date is still far off, its possible to extend my budget further, just means i gotta work more bleh :??: 
Related resources
July 21, 2010 2:56:45 AM

You'll get a much easier and larger overclock out of the X2 555, plus the chance to unlock more cores.... the Athlon II is a good deal if you aren't going to OC though, and might unlock to PII X4 status.
!