NVidia AND ATI in the same computer?

bobob42

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
A little background:

Building a new system this summer, and have built systems in the past, but need some advice about my graphics setup I'm hoping to do.

Build as of right now (not including stuff like hard drives and such):
ASUS P6X58D Premium mobo
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield cpu
G.Skill 6GB RAM
PNY Quadro FX 1800 Workstation Video Card
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Currently I'm getting into the rather mind-boggling, but fun, field of 3D editing and creation, which is why I chose the NVidia workstation card as my (first) graphics card.... but being a fan of video games as well I'm looking into getting an additional graphics card for the system, hooked up to a separate monitor.

So, my question is, could I put the Nvidia workstation card attached to one monitor, and then put an ATI 5XXX (not sure which one I want yet) gaming card into another PCI-e slot attached to a separate monitor into the same system?

Thanks in advance for any replies :D

Solution
What you are proposing is entirely feasible, although if you wish to use an Nvidia card and an ATi card together you won't be able to use Vista as only XP and W7 allow you to run two different VGA drivers.

bobob42

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Okay so I need to put at least one NVidia graphics card onto an AMD motherboard... this I know you can do, so my question is...

Could I put TWO NVidia Graphics cards onto any AMD motherboard, non-SLI, with each connected to a separate monitor?

OR... is it possible to put one NVidia card and then one ATI card onto an AMD motherboard? No connection between the cards, just each connected to its own monitor.