My flash drive has suddenly stopped working on Sony tv.

I have had my 30gb flash drive for a couple of months and has worked perfectly on pc and usb slot in Sony tv. I was using it yesterday in the tv and it was working fine. I went upstairs for a moment and came back down and regular tv was playing. I tried to get the file back up but it didn't register my storage device any more? I completely don't understand why this would happen as it was working brilliantly before.

It has just suddenly come on and am wondering if there is a way to rectify this?
4 answers Last reply
More about flash drive suddenly stopped working sony
  1. Plug the pen drive into your PC

Go to Device Manager in Control Panel.

In Device Manager go to "Universal serial bus controllers" It should list the storage devices that you have connected to your PC.

Right click the pen drive item in the list and & click Uninstall

Now remove the pen drive and restart Windows.

Try connecting the pen drive again.
  2. I think OP was saying the TV couldn't see the card, not a PC. Either the TV is not reading the card, or the card is giving an error the TV can't handle. Do the following in either order.

1. Unplug the TV from the wall and let sit for 30 seconds or more to drain caps. Tehn plug it back in. This will cause the TV to refresh its firmware. May fix it.

2. Take the card to your PC and do a FORMAT of the flash drive, not a quick format. This will cause windows to write and read almost every cell on the drive. That will cause the drive to remove bad sectors from the drive. Note you do not want to do this a million times, flash has a lifespan and takes wear each time you overwrite data. Note this format (not a QUICK format) will forever. (30GB written at about 10MB/sec = 3000 seconds = 1 hour)
  3. tsnor said:
    I think OP was saying the TV couldn't see the card, not a PC. Either the TV is not reading the card, or the card is giving an error the TV can't handle. Do the following in either order.

1. Unplug the TV from the wall and let sit for 30 seconds or more to drain caps. Tehn plug it back in. This will cause the TV to refresh its firmware. May fix it.

2. Take the card to your PC and do a FORMAT of the flash drive, not a quick format. This will cause windows to write and read almost every cell on the drive. That will cause the drive to remove bad sectors from the drive. Note you do not want to do this a million times, flash has a lifespan and takes wear each time you overwrite data. Note this format (not a QUICK format) will forever. (30GB written at about 10MB/sec = 3000 seconds = 1 hour)

Thanks for your help. It was the TV that had the problem not the drive. I tried another drive and the same thing happened. It is all working now. I'm glad I didn't need to Format the drive. Sounds nice and technical! :S
  4. Dreycho said:
    Thanks for your help. It was the TV that had the problem not the drive. I tried another drive and the same thing happened. It is all working now. I'm glad I didn't need to Format the drive. Sounds nice and technical! :S
    How did you fix TV ?
Ask a new question

Read More

TV Sony Flash Drive Storage