Your question

AMD or intel

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
September 21, 2010 2:20:13 AM

I want to upgrade my pc. It's been like 4 or 5yrs. currently i have an amd and i'm not sure if i want to stick with amd or move to intel. Even though intel is better than amd but price wise intel is more expensive depending on what you get.
I'm not a hard core gamer but i do play. At the same time i'm not looking to build a high end pc put not a low end. I may go toward the higher end if I can get really good deals. But I would say I would go mid or mid to high.
I'm not the type of person to upgrade my pc every 2 yrs or so, I would like to future proof my pc as long as possible.

Like i said before it's been a long time since I kept up with the pc world. I've read some things hear and there. I'm thinking of getting the amd's x6 1090t black ed. or Intel i7 930 or 950. I was thinking of the 960 but that is way to much.
I did a little searching and intels 6 core is just way to much and seems to me a rip off. But I also noticed that intels 6cores are on 32nm and amd is 6core is 45. I don't know how much that will make a difference but all i know is there is a huge price difference.

How is the 1090 compared to the 950? Even though the 950 is only 4core will it make any type of difference compared to the 1090 in performance and the longevity of cpu?

I was thinking about also getting an ssd. I know there are pretty expensive but is it worth it as my main drive? Or should I wait for the price to come down?

Here is my current set up. Pretty sure i will need to upgrade everything except for the case. Not sure if psu needs to be upgraded as well.
I definitely want the cpu, mobo and memory to be compatible with no issues. As for updating the bios on the mobo it would be nice to update it w/o being a computer wiz.

Any opionions or suggestions would be great.

Opty 175 Stock
Zalman CNPS9500 LED
DFI Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra - D (Bios 04/06/2006)
OCz 2 gig pc3200 Platnium
OCz MODSTREAM 520W
Raptor 74gb
Seagate 300gb sata (converted to external)
Western Digital 60Gb 7200 ATA/100 storage
Sony dual layer DVD drive
BFG 7800gt oc
Logitech MX3000 & MX1000
Sound Blaster X-Fi
Winxp pro w/service pk 3

More about : amd intel

a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 21, 2010 2:30:15 AM

It truly depends on your use. If you just game a bit and do normal stuff, then a Core i7 950 would probably outlast a Phenom II x6 in the longer run due to the arch.

if you do video/audio editing the Phenom II X6 would benefit you now.

Price wise, you are probably looking at around the same amount depending on what you tend to go for. You can build a cheap system either Intel or AMD if you buy cheaper parts around the CPU. But if you truly want the system to last you 5+ years, you are better off putting a little more into the mobo, memory and HDDs.

If I myself were to build a system right now, I would probably go with a Core i7 950 because test have shwon it being a great CPU and it also seems to be able to push current gen GPUs without any problems. In fact in most cases with a Core i7, even SLI/CF setups bottleneck the CPU. Add to that that a X58 chipset supports SLI & CF and you can add up to 24GB of memory, it sells itself for me.

But I am waiting for Ivy Bridge and whatever AMD has out at that time.
m
l
September 21, 2010 6:39:03 AM

What do you mean that the i7 950 would outlast the phenom because of the longer arch?
And what is the ivy bridge? Is going to be crazy ridiculous expensive?
Like I said before intel is already at the 32nm chip size which is cool but at the same time to expensive. I know amd is not quite there yet.
How much memory can the amd hold?

If i were to get intel 950 what type of mobo and memory would you get?

jimmysmitty said:
It truly depends on your use. If you just game a bit and do normal stuff, then a Core i7 950 would probably outlast a Phenom II x6 in the longer run due to the arch.

if you do video/audio editing the Phenom II X6 would benefit you now.

Price wise, you are probably looking at around the same amount depending on what you tend to go for. You can build a cheap system either Intel or AMD if you buy cheaper parts around the CPU. But if you truly want the system to last you 5+ years, you are better off putting a little more into the mobo, memory and HDDs.

If I myself were to build a system right now, I would probably go with a Core i7 950 because test have shwon it being a great CPU and it also seems to be able to push current gen GPUs without any problems. In fact in most cases with a Core i7, even SLI/CF setups bottleneck the CPU. Add to that that a X58 chipset supports SLI & CF and you can add up to 24GB of memory, it sells itself for me.

But I am waiting for Ivy Bridge and whatever AMD has out at that time.

m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 21, 2010 6:52:39 AM

@kloud, Start your own thread.
m
l
September 21, 2010 9:03:32 AM

BFG 7800gt oc its a bit old i would update that first
i dont see much software that needs 6 cores i find 4 is enough
the sound card is good
m
l
September 21, 2010 5:51:31 PM

If you want a Mid to Mid-High level PC look into the i5-750
They are work well for gaming and multitasking + they cost a lot less then a i7+mb
m
l
!