Sign in with
Your question

New affordable all-around under $600 (without monitor)

Last response: in Systems
July 21, 2010 2:52:34 AM

OK, here's a better breakdown of what I'm looking to build (my 1st) to replace my 5-year old Dell. I'm going to move the Dell to 2nd string to run some basic software.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 60-90 days

BUDGET RANGE: 400-600 Before Rebates + monitor cost

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Basic video editing, (maybe HD at some point), watching videos, internet/email, basic apps, gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Need it all

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:

PARTS PREFERENCES: None really

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024 Do I need more?

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Looking for a solid all-around that has some room for upgrades if I decide to get into basic gaming down the road.

More about : affordable 600 monitor

July 21, 2010 8:13:32 PM
July 22, 2010 1:14:46 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I am learning as much as I can about different components. It looks like a good setup but I have a couple of questions.
1. Is the CPU going to be enough or would I be better served by getting something else, especially if I get into HD editing?
2. What would this build compare to if I were to buy a prebuilt from say Dell, Gateway, or HP? I'm just trying to get a point of comparison between building and buying.
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2010 2:54:47 PM

ruleof72 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I am learning as much as I can about different components. It looks like a good setup but I have a couple of questions.
1. Is the CPU going to be enough or would I be better served by getting something else, especially if I get into HD editing?
2. What would this build compare to if I were to buy a prebuilt from say Dell, Gateway, or HP? I'm just trying to get a point of comparison between building and buying.

this system will beat EVREYTHING that comes prebuilt from a name brand company for the same price. no matter what you pay for a prebuilt, you can get the same thing for less money and it would last you a lot longer.

as for how it will handle HD video editing, you get what you pay for. this should do fine, but if it's not quite good enough for you getting more ram will help out alot.

sorry i don't know more.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 22, 2010 3:31:58 PM

If you're using a decent video editing package then you should be able to offload rendering jobs to the GPU rather than the CPU, which would be quicker anyway.

You won't get better from brand name companies.
m
l
July 22, 2010 4:05:07 PM

Thanks guys! That gives me some additional confidence to go ahead and build one myself. The one thing I am wondering about is the CPU. Would I get much of a boost if I want with something like this (an AMD X3)?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If so, what motherboard would you suggest to match with it?

Also, is this video card OK to use?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's less $$'s but is it worth the savings?

Thanks for the help!
m
l
July 22, 2010 4:19:05 PM

don't waste money on a dead socket instead here's a few better alternatives

Athlon II X3 440 $74.99
HIS Ice Q Radeon 5670 1GB $99.99 after $10 rebate
Gskill Eco 4GB DDR3 1600 $104.99
Gigabyte 770TA-UD3 $79.99 after $10 rebate
Sony Optiarc Sata Dvd burner $19.99
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB Hard Drive $54.99
Antec 300 Illusion Case + Antec BP550 PSU Combo $94.98

Total (before rebates) -$549.92

that leaves room for whatever keyboard mouse you would like
m
l
July 22, 2010 4:27:19 PM

i'm not sure about the processor. it's got a fair bit more power yes, but it is a bit more expensive and the motherboards i would go with would add another $50 at least. i'm not sure you'd even get that much more out of it.

as for the video card, if you wan a slightly beefier amd go with it. but do so knowing that you'll be sacrifiecing a lot of preformance in terms of rendering capabilities, and if you're going to be offloading your editing onto the video card anyway, no. i don't think it's worth it.
m
l
July 22, 2010 4:30:31 PM

@dan4patriots: good going. i didn't see the included PSU
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
July 24, 2010 10:27:47 AM

At just 1280 x 1024 i am going against the grain and suggest a config nearer to the min in that budget range of yours hehe No OC? Value RAMs would be fine ^^

$421AR
m
l
!