Sticky folder Pane in Explorer

How do I set WinXP to have the folders pane open when I open an Explorer
window?

I remember there was some trick to it. Thanks.

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:38:57 GMT, David Lavin wrote:

> How do I set WinXP to have the folders pane open when I open an Explorer
> window?
>
> I remember there was some trick to it. Thanks.

Create a shortcut to explorer.exe. Add /e at the end to get "explorer view"
aka tree view (two panes).

I have several partitions so have a shortcut set to open with the focus on
My Computer. The target line in properties reads:
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,

If you wanted, you could add "C:" or path to any folder after the comma and
Explorer would open with the focus on that folder. Example for opening with
focus on the C: drive:
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,c:

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Windows Explorer always opens in dual-paned view by default; this is rather
My Computer which doesn't. Use Win+E instead of double-clicking on My
Computer.

*explorer.exe* opens in dual-paned view of My Documents.
/n opens New single-paned view of C: drive by default.
/e opens Explorer-like dual-paned view of C: drive by default.
/root,<object> opens single-paned view at the Root level specified.
/select,<subobject> opens single-paned view of parent folder with the
specified object Selected.

JamesR404

http://forum.soft32.com/win4/Explorer-Folders-pane-default-ftopict232973.htmlOr even better yet, to enable to always use the Folder bar in explorer:

"Folder Options -> 'File Types' tab -> hilite 'Folder' (not File Folder!) -> click 'Advanced' -> hilite the 'explore' action -> click 'Set Default'.

OK your way out. This will set explore (2 pane view) as the default action for viewing all folders." (courtesy of Keith Miller)

To Disable probably set it to Open instead of Explore.