Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dust Proof Case

Last response: in Components
September 21, 2010 7:53:04 AM

Fist, I'm sure no case is dust proof, but I'm looking for one that prevents a lot of dust buildup inside the case. I've been looking at the Antec 300 Illusion, then I noticed the Antec 900 is only 70ish dollars at microcenter. I've heard a lot of good things about CM 690 and the storm scout. What would be a good case that has a lot of features to prevent dust build up inside the case?

More about : dust proof case

September 21, 2010 11:13:08 AM

The Silverstone FT02 advertises that it's dust proof (or at least dust resistant) due to its air flow design. I own this case, but only for a little while, so its too early for me to tell if this is the case.

Most current so called premium cases have dust filters on all of the intake areas to minimize any dust infiltration.
Score
September 21, 2010 2:17:46 PM

I have the FT02 and had it since April, just yesterday I cleaned the filters for the first time and damn there was a lot of dust on them but the internals are practically dust free. I'm not going to say completely as a very minute amount did get in but this one is one of the best due to filters and positive air pressure.
Score
Related resources
September 21, 2010 4:05:04 PM

Thanks. I'll take a look at that case.
Score
September 21, 2010 4:07:33 PM

Oh wow. At $230 that's quite a bit more than I was looking to spend on a case. I stated a few cases that were around the $100 range. I should have been more clear. Any suggestions closer to my price bracket?
Score
September 21, 2010 4:15:35 PM

MrMooky said:
Oh wow. At $230 that's quite a bit more than I was looking to spend on a case. I stated a few cases that were around the $100 range. I should have been more clear. Any suggestions closer to my price bracket?

I got the perfect case

NZXT Lexa S

Trusted brand, dust filters, rubber grommets for water cooling and cable management, bottom PSU mount, magnetic bay door, made of mostly steel, less than 70 bucks, 3 x 120mm fans (one with blue LED) and a 140mm fan INCLUDED and much more

Newegg Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Detailed Video Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX2DeBCjXko

If you liked my reply, best answer is appreciated :) 
Score
September 21, 2010 4:33:26 PM

Seems to offer quite a bit for such a low cost. Makes me wonder what's wrong with it that it's so cheap.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2010 4:36:53 PM

I know that HAF932 is a dust magnet. CM690 is way better in that sense.
Score
September 21, 2010 4:55:40 PM

MrMooky said:
Seems to offer quite a bit for such a low cost. Makes me wonder what's wrong with it that it's so cheap.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's targeted at mid-level gaming builds. You can watch reviews if you want. It's a nice and sturdy case, not an enthusiast case, just a mid-tower mid-level gaming case :) 

The reviews on it on Newegg are great

If you look at the 1-2 egg reviews, they're mostly complains about rebate/replacement stuff, not really the case
Score
September 21, 2010 5:10:56 PM

Indeed reaper. I'm looking over reviews. Will have to wait til I get home from work to watch the video reviews though.
Score
September 21, 2010 5:14:24 PM

Still leaning toward Antec 300 Illusion or the Antec 900, as it's only $70 at microcenter. A few of the NZXT reviews note that the case is flimsy, which concerns me.
Score
September 21, 2010 6:30:36 PM

I had the antec 300 and its a good case. I didn't see too much dust in the case, and using the filters does help. It all depends on what fans you need to use.
Score
a c 248 ) Power supply
September 21, 2010 6:44:58 PM

I have a Lian Li / Lancool Dragonlord case. It comes with dust filters for the entire front panel. The filters do a very good job of keeping dust out. For cleaning I just pull off the entire front panel and rinse it with plain water in the kitchen sink. No muss, no fuss, no bother.

The case comes in a variety of configurations:

http://www.lancoolpc.com/en/microsite/01/

mwave.com has the lowest prices in the USA:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/deepsearch_v3.asp?scriteria=...
Score
September 21, 2010 7:12:06 PM

MrMooky said:
Still leaning toward Antec 300 Illusion or the Antec 900, as it's only $70 at microcenter. A few of the NZXT reviews note that the case is flimsy, which concerns me.

NZXT is a very well known brand. The people who call it flimsy are complaining in my opinion, does the case bend or something? I highly doubt it's "flimsy"

If youre fine with a boring looking case for the same price go ahead, I know Im getting the Lexa S myself
Score
September 22, 2010 12:20:48 AM

The CM 690 II looks nice. Any one have any thoughts on that case?
Score
September 22, 2010 1:04:58 AM

Looks dull, no open panel on side, no included fans as far as I can see

Id just pay the same price for a sweet lookin case with 4 fans included, rubber grommets, dust filters, and more
Score
September 22, 2010 3:38:51 AM

It does have fans., filters and other things.

You're trying real hard for the best answer selection. XD
Score
a c 91 ) Power supply
September 22, 2010 5:35:48 AM

If dust protection is your primary criteria then best to assign a few pointers -

1. Avoid a high mesh design.

2. Make sure every intake port (with or without fan) has filters.
Few fitting case for your purpose would be the Lian-Li PC-7FN, Lian-Li PC-B25F..
Score
September 22, 2010 4:10:17 PM

First case is only 11lbs? Seems a bit light. Second is a bit more than I'd like to spend on a case, though it does look nice.
Score
September 22, 2010 4:10:53 PM

I'd assuem it's possible to buy dust filters for cases that don't come with them stock?
Score
a c 248 ) Power supply
September 22, 2010 4:12:58 PM

Yes, you can purchase dust filters.
Score
September 22, 2010 6:02:08 PM

Picking a case is a pain. XD Having so many options makes it difficult.
Score
a c 104 ) Power supply
September 22, 2010 6:12:42 PM

if dust/dirt/sand ingress is a real concern, consider using silicon sealant on all joins to really make your system sealed, only potential issue there is you will have to clean your filters out religiously and ensure fans provide sufficient airflow to exhaust heat
Moto
Score
Anonymous
September 22, 2010 6:24:04 PM

I'm in a similar position at the moment. I'm looking for a new case and there are too many to choose from. I'm thinking that I might pick up the NZXT M59 although seeing that Lexa S it looks similar inside but I prefer the looks of the outside personally.

I would just buy a case that you like which doesn't have mesh all over it and purchase some dust filters for all of the grills.
If you find that you're still getting dust inside you could always use some caulk or something to seal the joints, as the poster above said.
Score
September 22, 2010 8:47:56 PM

Any one know how the CM 690 II does with dust? Does it have good cable management?
Score
Anonymous
September 22, 2010 9:02:08 PM

Good cable management, certainly. You can tell that from a side view picture, and from images of systems up and running in it. It's got a load of holes in the motherboard tray to route the cables behind it, so you can keep them pretty much hidden and out of the way of your airflow.

I'm not sure about dust. I'm pretty sure that it does have dust filters for the intake fans but there is a lot of mesh on it. Not sure if the mesh has filters but it almost certainly does.
Score
September 22, 2010 9:33:58 PM

So as long as the mesh has filters, it shouldn't be too bad with dust right? Was leaning antec 300/900 at first, but am liking the look of the CM 690 II.
Score
Anonymous
September 22, 2010 9:55:54 PM

I would say you should be okay if it has filters - obviously double check that it does though.

I just thought that considering you are specifically looking for a "dust proof" case you might want something a little better than the ordinary - i.e. not mesh.

Not trying to put you off getting the CM 690 II though; looks like a superb case and good value, my budget is just a little less unfortunately :( 
Score
September 22, 2010 11:02:46 PM

What would you suggest danger. I of course want a case that deals with dust well. But cable management, quality, and looks are also high on the list.
Score

Best solution

Anonymous
September 22, 2010 11:18:07 PM

MrMooky said:
What would you suggest danger. I of course want a case that deals with dust well. But cable management, quality, and looks are also high on the list.

Personally, I'd get the 690 II. It looks like a really high quality case with great cable management and looks. this review says that the front panel features a dust filter, but the side panel does not. IMO that's not a very big deal. The top panel also includes a dust filter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed4RC6r2NTk
I know for sure that it has a filter on the PSU area - evidence will probably be in either one of those reviews but I haven't checked.

I would say that it looks like this case has decent dust filters - enough to keep your system reasonably dust free. I don't think there's really any case that can keep dust out completely, but as long as you keep the area around your PC reasonably clean and clean out the inside of your computer occasionally, you shouldn't get much dust clogging up your fans or damaging components (I've never heard of anyone's components being damaged by dust though).

All-in-all I'd definitely say it's worth getting the 690 II :) 
September 22, 2010 11:21:40 PM

Best answer selected by MrMooky.
Score
September 22, 2010 11:51:19 PM

I could even just buy some dust filters for the side vents. I think I've seen some on Newegg.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 23, 2010 12:25:54 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!