Still in doubt with my build: please help!

Not sure if to go for:

1) i7 930 Sli GTX470

2) i5 750 Crossfire radeon 5870
-Can you do good crossfire on a i5 750 or is it best to go sli?
-Can you recommend a good motherboard for i5 and crossfire with PCi16 lanes?

This are my doubts.. thanks for your time
13 answers Last reply
More about still doubt build help
  1. I would say i7 950 with HD5870 CF. Do you have the budget for it?
  2. Nope..
    I have to choose between the i7930 and the 5870

Is intel good with crossfire? what mobo you recommend for a good crossfire setup dual 5870 and the i5 750?

thanks
  3. I have the i7 930 in SLi with 2x GTX 470's - Awesome setup. Just make sure the case you have has good air flow, as the first GTX 470 runs extremtly hot.
  4. i7 930 and i7 950 almost cost the same. And wouldn't hurt your budget much. Only $10-$15 difference.

Intel has no problems with CF or SLI.

A good crossfire board would be:
    Asus P6X58D-E or Premium. Take your pick.
  5. Thanks,
    I was worried since this is my first build and read the 5870 was cooler and less noise than the gtx470
  6. I also have the board Hell_storm2004 mentions.. Again, good board - many overclocking features..

regarding the GTX 470 - teh first one runs towards the cards temp limit 105oC (Mine is at 80oC to 90oC) and due to this, the cards fan is pretty much flat out and quite loud, i have headphones so not much of a problem, but may become one if you have speakers instead..

Other than that - Perfect setup, awesome build, Wild graphics :)
  7. Thanks guys, what about this motherboard?
    Asus P7h57d-v Evo OR Asus P7p55d Pro

Cant find your P6X58D-E where I buy it
  8. Quote:
    Thanks guys, what about this motherboard?
    Asus P7h57d-v Evo OR Asus P7p55d Pro

Cant find your P6X58D-E where I buy it

The motherboards you mentioned are the LGA1156. And i7 930/950 are all LGA1366. So wont be compatible.

You can only get X58 motherboards for i7 930/950.

Please mention your location.
  9. reccy said:
    I have the i7 930 in SLi with 2x GTX 470's - Awesome setup. Just make sure the case you have has good air flow, as the first GTX 470 runs extremtly hot.

you one lucky guy with that power supply

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=188
  10. Why? a PSU is a PSU, rated at 750w so its been tested by the manufactuer under serious load to preduce this sort of wattage, weather its a Huntkey, Coolermaster, Corsair etc.. Each to there own i guess.. Never had a PSU go down on me, even if i do, all warranted anyways :)
  11. psu's aren't made equal and some companies really can be dishonest with their labeling
  12. obsidian86 said:
    psu's aren't made equal and some companies really can be dishonest with their labeling

This is absolutely true! There are two aspects of labeling a PSU. CM rate their PSU's with the maximum capacity it can output, not the average. While other reputed brands do the rating with the average output power. That's why you would see that a Corsair VX450W delivering more than 500W watts of power for short bursts, even when it is rated at 450W (which is there average output).

The only good CM PSU is the Silent Power Pro series.
  13. Seems good so far.. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Crossfire Intel i5 SLI