Replacing my old CPU with another old CPU

soop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I have an AMD 64 3200+, and I'm considering replacing it with a 64 x2 4200+.

The machine is basically a media center and a browser plugged into the bedroom TV and streaming to the living room TV. Part of the reason I just want to replace the CPU is I don't want to spend too much money, but I've already spent a bit on new cooling so keep it quiet.

I've recently started using MCEbuddy to encode recordings into MPEG 2, and PSP resolution (so 2 files), and it takes years, but it also makes the PC useless for anything else.

Anyway, simple question, is, looking at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/cpu-charts/compare,57.html?prod[205]=on&prod[196]=on&prod[190]=on&prod[157]=on&prod[156]=on, is the 4200+ getting those scores for encoding by using both cores?

I'd like it to be faster, but my main concern would be to have it encoding 24/7 and remain usable for browsing etc.

soop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks dude - unfortunately, that's probably not ideal. I'm assuming if it uses both cores, it will max them out at 100%, meaning the PC is still unusable for anything else?

archer7282

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Although I use my encoding software for a different purpose it has the ability to tell it how many threads (cores) to use. Take a look around I would not be surprised if there is encoding software available that will allow you to specify that it only use one core.

soop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks Archer. Unfortunately the encoder I'm using isn't just an encoder - it removes adverts and encodes automatically, so I'm not sure there's an alternative. However I was going to check on something I asked on their forum ages ago, so thanks for reminding me.

But if I get an increase in performance only by using both cores, and both cores will get 100% maxed out this won't solve the problem. Are cores smart enough to dedicate an entire core temporarily to other tasks? Or will I be in the same boat with a slightly bigger engine?

soop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Wel the idea was basically to get a dual core CPU, thus enabling 1 core for encoding, and the other for general use. ~£50 seems like a good price point for this to me, and looking at the comparison chart regarding MPEG encoding, it seemed like the best value for money. If I spend much more, that's going into the realm of a new CPU and motherboard, which I didn't want to do (see first post).

Also, I have 1gb of RAM, is that going to make a significant difference? I'd assume that the processor is the bottleneck.

soop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Ah, it's socket 939. I searched for AMD 939 on ebay, and I think I'm limited to opterons, athlons and whatever those FX ones are.

soop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
BUMP!

Ok, it looks like I can specify how many cores to use: http://mcebuddy.com/Help/Forum/tabid/152/forumid/20/threadid/573/scope/posts/Default.aspx

However, the way I'm thinking is this:
a "4200+ x2" (dual core) CPU is not using 2 die of a "4200+" (single core), so ... let me get this right...

if I had a 4200+ x2, and one thread was constantly taken up with one task, I would not be left with the processing power of a single core 4200+. Is this correct?

Obviously I don't have a single core 4200+, I have a single core 3200+, but the question remains pertinent. And I realise other resources are going to be a factor, but I'm not sure by how much.

soop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I won't let me edit...

*Oh, I remember one more thing: How does it know which core to use for what? Worst thing would be for it to use media center in one core, firefox for another, and then add the encoding task to one of those. I have no idea how it works.

popatim

Titan
Why not use the scheduling feature in MCEbuddy and schedule your transcoding at times when you wont be using the tele (sleep, work...) Still upgrade to the dualcore btw.

Also, aren't your recording already mpg2?

soop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

yeah, but in .wtv. can't drag and drop to any of my other devices.

I have tried scheduling, but since you can't pick days, It's either 1am - 7am, or while I'm at work too, which isn't good for weekends. And hardly anything gets done in the former time.

soop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I've solved one problem, with the affinity feature in task manager I think. Still need to know this though:

However, the way I'm thinking is this:
a "4200+ x2" (dual core) CPU is not using 2 die of a "4200+" (single core), so ... let me get this right...

if I had a 4200+ x2, and one thread was constantly taken up with one task, I would not be left with the processing power of a single core 4200+. Is this correct?