Using a neighbors security enabled wifi connection to receive wi fi

Birdman101

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I have a netbook computer that will accept wifi. I noticed there are several folks set up for wifi near me. However, their computers claim to be security enabled. Can I safely attach myself to one of them for free computer use of wifi? Or could this get me in trouble?

Dunno about the legal aspects, if that is what you are asking. Presuming you could crack the security code, they could easily tell that an 'alien' computer was attached to their network if they bothered to check their router settings page. If they did, they could bump you off by filtering on MAC addresses, in which case you'd have to use MAC address spoofing software.

Of course, they could also sniff & record your packets since same are going through their network, and then your data would not be safe. IOW, I wouldn't access my bank account using their network :p. And if you use their network to access illegal stuff, the FBI can use triangulation to pinpoint your netbook location :p

hack3r41

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Technically it is stealing but if you run a proxy before you connect you will be hidden. Honestly, most people are not skilled enough to recognize if some one is on their network or not. Just as long as they have service they won't care so don't DOS yourself.