Seagate Hybrid barracuda?

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Im waiting patiently for a 2Tb Hybrid hard-drive.
all that we were told was 2012 right?
3 months left.... :(
That doesn't seem like enough time to introduce a product and have it in the stores...

Solution
I just doubt the would go for a 3.5 inch desktop drive simply because they would limited their potential markets. For the same reason there are pretty much no 3.5inch SSDs. People can use 2.5 drives in their 3.5 inch slots using adapters so from a marketing perspective this move would make no sense.

Also all those articles are 1 year old. I assume they scrapped the entire idea? But again I am speculating. I don't know any insiders working @seagate.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
I've not heard of a 2tb hybrid drive. The 750gig one has been out for a while(I love it) but I doubt they would jump straight to a 2tb version, at least I've not heard of one.

Otherwise you can achieve the same results using a Z77 board and a normal HDD with a 20gb or more (up to 60gb max) SSD using intels' SRT (previously called SSD caching).

After doing a search at www.seagate.com I couldn't see a 1TB hybrid drive (750 GB being the largest) let alone a 2TB hybrid drive. I think you are right in that expecting a 2TB hybrid drive in 3 months may be a bit unreal. Just out of curiosity, where did you read/hear Seagate was releasing a 2TB hybrid drive this year? I don't doubt you, I'm just curious.

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5034/seagate-introduces-new-1tbperplatter-barracuda-solid-state-hybrid-version-coming

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/86-storage/44564-seagate-planning-performance-hybrid-in-barracuda-xt-series.html

the new Barracuda XT series is not expected until 2012.

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_kills_off_green_hard_drives_plans_to_launch_barracuda_hybrid_hard_drive

http://thessdguy.com/seagates-barracuda-to-add-hybrids/

last source mentions sizes

Maybe I am reading too much into it... If they are changing the barracuda XT line to Hybrid assumed it would have the same capacities. There should be a 3tb one coming out too.I guess there has not been any new talk about this... so 2013?

Its all speculation... lol Barracuda XT maybe next year cause they just released the new regular Barracuda this year or actually announced in 2011 in stores 2012... i think

whatever it is I am hoping for an announcement this year for Barracuda XT hybrid lauch...

The Momentus XT is a 2.5 inch one while barracuda should be 3.5 desktop style... i
believe.

The most recent stuff i read did not mention anything i wanted to hear...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/display/20120911205703_Seagate_Optimizes_Next_Generation_Hybrid_Hard_Drive_for_Intel_s_Smart_Response_Technology.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomcoughlin/2012/09/12/2013-its-a-hybrid-world/

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
I just doubt the would go for a 3.5 inch desktop drive simply because they would limited their potential markets. For the same reason there are pretty much no 3.5inch SSDs. People can use 2.5 drives in their 3.5 inch slots using adapters so from a marketing perspective this move would make no sense.

Also all those articles are 1 year old. I assume they scrapped the entire idea? But again I am speculating. I don't know any insiders working @seagate.

Solution

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I read it in a different source: This one is newer. but im just biased searching for anything meaning what i think it could mean. Its true i want it to come out in huge capacities and I've been searching for any news article to do with Hybrids lately. So yes i have no recent stuff except Luczo said to some strange uk website... lol

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/24/seagate_analysts_day/

"Luczo said Seagate would ship desktop PC hybrid drives before the end of the year. Enterprise hybrids would be coming soon as well. El Reg thinks this could mean before the end of 2013's first quarter. Such drives would provide twice as many IOPS as straight spinners. Luczo said hybrid drive discussions with customers have involved exclusivity questions, implying neither Toshiba nor WD might be involved as second sources."

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008

I looked into SSD cache. BUT its not compatible with XP... hence the reason i said 2 TB. lol

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Real question is why are you still using XP? Also just saying the Toshiba is an OEM only product so you won't be seeing it in stores anytime soon.

But other than that I'm with you. Hey more competition is always good ;) gets the prices down!

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I have windows xp and 7.

I use windows xp more than 7 as Office 2003 is installed on XP. Im afraid of re-doing product activation... since i need the program and blah blah its unnecessary move to win 7 with that program.

No need to get Office 2010 it will be replaced by 2013 soon. Then the next thing 2016. Someday I will get Office for 7 but not soon.

I have much patience when it comes to upgrading.

I am more likely going to get an SSD or Hybrid for XP as I believe my programs/games to be installed on XP is coming to an end so I actually know what size of Hard-drive i need.

I think my minimum size of hard-drive will be 1 Terabyte or 750 gigs. I bet I will see 750 gigs SSD soon enough. 2 Terabytes Hybrid would be the most desired as its the XP limit for boot drive... maybe im not that patient. But I would settle for a 750 SSD. Not keen on the 750 gig Hybrid as i feel something better is coming...

Windows 7 still has alot of potential and getting an expensive hard-drive just to upgrade when i run out of space is annoying.

It would take too much time to transfer all my games from xp to 7 (275 gigs of space in my C:\Gamefiles\ folder alone). Reinstalling. copying and saving saved games sheesh...

unnecessary move. Xp still works.

I know there are greater than 750 gig SSDs out there i just want a 750 gig SSD in the pricerange of the current 512 gig SSD. I think 512 gig SSD would limit me too much.

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Okay you guys might find this interesting how i decided to solve the situation.

I ordered a 2 terabyte Harddrive from Seagate
I then purchased an SSD drive.

To get SSD caching in XP i am going to use VeloSSD 2012 because that software is compatible with XP and does SSD caching for the operating system XP.(and other OS's but i will use it for xp)

It is not hardware specific as it can cache onto any SSD.

SO no compromise in hard-drive space. I will have a stupidly large Samsung SSD cache will not be limited in that aspect and i get to tinker a bit with software in XP.

All in all in a couple weeks I will be messing around with this software and hardware.

What initiated the SSD purchase is the fact that Samsung has manual trim software support for its 830 line up that is compatible with XP. I feel with the decline of XP support in the future I need to purchase hardware now instead of later.

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Just as a point of inerest- I run a desktop PC and a laptop both with office 2003 no problems - you can always copy your files over !

Yea I never really looked at the actual activation limitations with office 2003. So it might very well be possible to install it onto Windows 7.

However, one of my issues which isnt really relevant(more of a preference), is I do want to get a newer version of office in the future for windows 7. This causes me to not even want to put an old version of office onto 7 to delete it later on and yada yada. The theory that programs installed always leave a trace on the Hard-drive somewheres....slowly slow down my OS' with installing and uninstalling.... etc...

I kindof mentioned that I wanted a newer Office for 7 but I was hoping people would mind read that I didnt want to move office over then uninstall it for a newer version.....not that I need to uninstall it I also think its redundant (space waste) to have both of them at the same time on one OS/Harddrive..(another preference)

I understand I am a bit quirky when it comes to installing programs onto XP. I have little quirks like I'll install Mass Effect 3 onto XP unstead of Windows 7 because its just a DX 9 game and it does not handle more than 2 cores.
Where as I installed Assassins Creed onto Windows 7 because it handles in DX 10 mode....

I personally did move FarCry 2 onto Windows 7 and ran it in DX 10 mode in Windows 7 but i noticed a loss of foilage quality in this mode compared to DX 9 mode in XP. I switched to DX 9 mode in Windows 7 with this game and the loss of ground foilage quality still existed. So I had to transfer it back to XP

Reviews say the DX 10 mode is faster with a small decrease in quality but not even worth mentioning compared to the increase in speed but I noticed it signifigantly and I believe the speed increase was due to loss of quality.

Yes these are all personal preferences with some kindof reasoning that may not make sense to most. I used to be an 1 OS kindof guy(completely abandonded Windows 98SE for XP) but now I dual boot.

Anyways what does this have to do with hard-drives? in the Hard-drive section? Well i might as well say my hard-drives are coming in the mail and will come back here to tell boast (LOL) if my SSD caching in XP was a success.