Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Recovery Partition

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
September 28, 2012 8:49:14 AM

Dell Inspiron Laptop. Behaving erratically, shutdown failed etc. Ran diagnostics, pointed to failed HDD. Question is, can I copy the Recovery Partition, (14.6Gb) to another HDD and expect F11 to work and restore Factory settings? Machine running OK since I did chkdsk /f /r so drive not desperately bad yet.
TIA
Dodger
Edit - have a complete set of Recovery disks, so not stuck, but unsure if the Recovery Partition is included...

More about : recovery partition

a b G Storage
September 28, 2012 12:50:20 PM

If the recovery disk are from Dell they very likely rebuilt the service partition, and then the service partition would be used to reload everything. That's generally how those disk work.

I wouldn't bother trying to salvage a recovery partition from a known bad drive if you have good recovery disk.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 28, 2012 2:30:13 PM

Recovery disks are the ones created on purchase, so probably just a system image. Dell have agreed to send to a new HDD and an OEM disk, so I'll see what that entails. it's a machine i procured for Neighbours, so would like to include the Factory Restore option for them, but if necessary they can do without...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 104 G Storage
September 28, 2012 7:07:28 PM

Hi there,

I have read that the hidden OEM partitions don't clone over to new HDD's. However, I'm not 100% convinced, since a clone should copy everything, bit by bit from here to there. The recovery partitions are nice. With a couple clicks you have a factory new system.

Also, in reviewing how Sansumg uses Ghost to individually clone over the ESP, MSR, and C Partitions in separate steps to their new SSD's unless the OEM partition is completely hidden, you should be able to indvidually clone it over also. Possibly you might have to "unhide" an OEM partition first using Diskpart before you can see it.
a b G Storage
October 10, 2012 7:47:16 PM

Best answer selected by dodger46.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 10, 2012 7:49:54 PM

New HDD took a week to arrive, and as I had to return the defective one I had no time to experiment...
m
l
!