Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

About unlocking x2 of athlon

Last response: in CPUs
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2010 2:01:12 PM

Is it true that athlon ll x2 can be unlock from being dual core to quad core?
How?
is there any risk if unlocking they called is true??
please if there's anyone of you guys know about this stuff
please share it with me..^_^

More about : unlocking athlon

a b à CPUs
September 21, 2010 6:41:29 PM

with the proper motherboard its possible to unlock a 2 core into a 3 or 4 core btu it is by no means a guaruntee. some people will even report that they unlock cores only to come back later a few months late reporting the core no logner functions with as many cores, or that they are still functioning just fine.

buy the chip you want, if you think adual core athlon will do then buy that and you cna try unlocking for bonus but never buy a cpu with a disabled core expecting it to unlock and run well

there is a reason that the other 2 cores were disabled
m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
September 21, 2010 9:07:57 PM

You might want to check your facts goofy, unless something changed and I didn't know about it.

Last I checked, the Athlon IIx2 was a native dual core. This is why the original Athlon IIx3 and x4 were based on deneb.
The Athlon IIx2 is a native dual core and cannot be unlocked. Because there are no more cores to unlock.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2010 9:14:20 PM

Not really, there is only one model of the Athlon X2, the 45nm 5000+ that unlocked to a full Deneb, everything else is a native dual-core Regor with the larger 1MB L2 cache.
m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
September 21, 2010 9:19:55 PM

Timop said:
Not really, there is only one model of the Athlon X2, the 45nm 5000+ that unlocked to a full Deneb, everything else is a native dual-core Regor with the larger 1MB L2 cache.

The 5000+ you are talking about is not the Athlon II x2. It goes along with the older Athlon 7xxx series of processors that can be unlocked to Agena (phenom), not deneb. Deneb is phenom II. It is the only processor that even though it is the same as another from the 7xxx series, it is given a name from an older series.
m
0
l
September 21, 2010 9:21:38 PM

Enzo is right, all the Athlon II X2's are native dual-cores, codename Regor, and have double L2 cache from every other 45nm CPU AMD produces.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2010 9:23:35 PM

enzo matrix said:
The 5000+ you are talking about is not the Athlon II x2. It goes along with the older Athlon 7xxx series of processors that can be unlocked to Agena (phenom), not deneb. Deneb is phenom II. It is the only processor that even though it is the same as another from the 7xxx series, it is given a name from an older series.

Nope, the 45nm Athlon X2 5000+ is a Deneb part (sans DDR3, eg Phenom X4 940), there are no 45nm "Agena"s.

http://www.siliconmadness.com/2010/05/amd-athlon-x2-500...
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2010 6:27:47 AM

Guys can you help me check if my current cpu's hardware listed below can be unlock my processor...tnx!


MOTHER BOARD-ASRock K10N78M AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8100

VIDEO CARD-palit 9500gt 1gb

HARD DRIVE- 320 gb

then my processor amd athlon ll x2 20 3.0 ghz

many thanks!
m
0
l
September 22, 2010 10:38:28 AM

I am afraid your hard drive is nowwhere near big enough to unlock this CPU. Sorry.
m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 12:24:12 PM

soop said:
I am afraid your hard drive is nowwhere near big enough to unlock this CPU. Sorry.

Don't pay attention to this rude fool. He's trying to make fun of you because we already told you your Athlon IIx2 was a native dual core and there is nothing to unlock.
m
0
l
September 22, 2010 12:39:05 PM

enzo matrix said:
Don't pay attention to this rude fool. He's trying to make fun of you because we already told you your Athlon IIx2 was a native dual core and there is nothing to unlock.


Two wrong don't make a right though do they? Yes, I was being flippant, but if you think he's too stupid to realise that it's a joke, then fine, go and insult me and him.
m
0
l
a c 99 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 12:48:46 PM

Quote:
Is it true that athlon ll x2 can be unlock from being dual core to quad core?
How?
is there any risk if unlocking they called is true??
please if there's anyone of you guys know about this stuff
please share it with me..^_^


The only Athlon II X2s that could possibly be unlocked to quad-core units are the handful of Athlon IIs with 2x512 KB L2 caches: Athlon II X2 210e, 215, 220, 260u, 270u. All of the rest of the Athlon IIs have 2x1 MB L2 caches, which is only found on the "Regor" native dual-core die. All of the quad-core dies have 512 KB L2 caches, so if one was to disable cores on a quad-core die like the Propus (Athlon II X3/X4, no L3) or the Deneb (Phenom II, 6 MB L3), you'd end up with 512 KB L2 caches instead of 1 MB L2 caches.
m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 2:01:54 PM

soop said:
Two wrong don't make a right though do they? Yes, I was being flippant, but if you think he's too stupid to realise that it's a joke, then fine, go and insult me and him.

Sorry, mate. Didn't mean to insult you but you would be surprised at how many people on these forums would look at your comment and take it as truth.
m
0
l
September 22, 2010 2:13:41 PM

enzo matrix said:
Sorry, mate. Didn't mean to insult you but you would be surprised at how many people on these forums would look at your comment and take it as truth.


Apology accepted :) 
I'm new here, and while I'm not sure how long I'll be around, I'm not aiming to step on any toes
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2010 3:41:20 PM

yea. not all of them will unlock to 4 cores and some have only the 2 cores. but i knew there were some duals that coudl unlock to fours .

i still say if you want a four core get a four core though
m
0
l
!