Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GTX 480 2way sli with the problem playing Metro2033????

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 12, 2010 3:50:15 PM

my PC:
CPU : QuadCore Intel Xeon W3520, 3800 MHz (20 x 190)
MB: EVGA E758
RAM DDR3-1333 2g * 3
cards: EVGA GTX 480 SC 2way SLI

Play Metro 2033

The settings :
DX11 all max
very high
1920*1200
4MSAA
16AF
advanced Phx

just on the chapter one
the FPS is very low
the max is almost only 55 and in some place the FPS will be down to 15 .... :o 

on the Youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcUpzT1jhoQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3xyQk51TXM

some one play the game with the same settings and similar PC but his FPS is up to 80 or more avg (even to 120)
another one is at lease 50 (when attacking the animals....)
OF COURSE the different chapters ????
any one has the same or similar PC as mine ?? ur FPS ??


By the way :
my Win 7 installed on 40G INTEL SSD SA2M040G2GC
and my game all installed on
Raid : WDC WD10EALS-00Z8A0 1Tb
will this be the problem for the low FPS??
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2010 4:58:12 PM

its nothin but micro stuttering,,,, its because of synchronization btwn 2 gpus in SLI or CF
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2010 5:07:45 PM

Quote:
Your CPU is not good for gaming, and you'll need 4 gigs or more RAM for good gaming.
Your GPUs are insanely good but you need an i7 to take advantage of that graphical horsepower.


wow, so much fail in your post

1) the Xeon 3520 is the Xeon version of the i7-920
2) he has 6GB of ram (2g * 3)

@OP are you sure the settings are the same for the comparisons (especially tessellation), and i don't think a lot of people will have a system like yours (ie $1000 worth of video cards)

the first thing i would try is to lower the tessellation to see if you start getting near the same frames, also check to make sure you are not being cou bottlenecked (ie check the cpu util while in game, though yours should be fast enough)
Related resources
June 13, 2010 2:08:47 AM

really thanks too much
so u dont think the the CPU is the problem??
thx
the vedio showed : his CPU is i7 920 only OC 3.6
so ...
and u may see the video :
this one ==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3xyQk51TXM
the full settings all max in cluding DOF and tessellation
but the different chapters
thx
June 13, 2010 2:18:39 AM

mjsharma said:
its nothin but micro stuttering,,,, its because of synchronization btwn 2 gpus in SLI or CF

u mean the game is just not good for SLI or CF
but the video showed obviously :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3xyQk51TXM
really the same settings as mine (all max )
and almost the same PC with mine
but the FPS???
June 13, 2010 2:20:07 AM

Quote:
Your CPU is not good for gaming, and you'll need 4 gigs or more RAM for good gaming.
Your GPUs are insanely good but you need an i7 to take advantage of that graphical horsepower.

Thx
but the Xeon 3520 is the Xeon version of the i7-920 and is it not good for game as i7 ?????
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2010 2:34:01 AM

you could try to use driversweeper to clean out the drivers and re-install them, other than that, the only thing it could be would be some setting you are not noticing that is different (possibly one they are not showing you)

though 50fps in that game is reallt good, and if its the only game you have problems with, i wouldn't worry too much

though, what are your temps while playing, maybe throttling from heat (if over 100C)
June 13, 2010 9:39:55 AM

mjsharma said:
it isnt any prob related to the game...its the problem wid technology,, SLI or CF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering
this ll give u a basic idea
google for more..

thx a lot
but the you tube video showed the same "problem with mine"
he alos has the "micro stuttering"
and the FPS of his is still so high ????
also gtx 480 SC sli 2 way ??????
June 13, 2010 9:53:52 AM

mindless728 said:
you could try to use driversweeper to clean out the drivers and re-install them, other than that, the only thing it could be would be some setting you are not noticing that is different (possibly one they are not showing you)

though 50fps in that game is reallt good, and if its the only game you have problems with, i wouldn't worry too much

though, what are your temps while playing, maybe throttling from heat (if over 100C)

thx a lot first
i really think once bebore : the video may be cheating ~~
may some settings are lower or off (ex: DX 11 to DX 10 )
the FPS gap will be up to 20 ..
but the video is contiuous and no mask in the video???
can u find any problem in the video???
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2010 10:34:37 AM

set everything to minimum and see what happens if its still lagging in some places its a hardware fault
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2010 1:27:09 PM

Stop playing metro with tesselation and DOF you should be ok.

Nvidia does announce the Fermi to be better than the ATI chips but that doesn't mean the Fermi can actually tesselate any good. Both ATI and Nvidia have chips that produce unplayable frame rates in Heaven Benchmark so neither of them are really any good for that purpose. Metro is a bit over the top with tesselation though it would be very hard to tell the difference between tesselaiton on and off in metro, there is crazy calculations in the background.

Same with DOF, that takes a lot of GPU compute for unnoticable difference.

When scenes maxes out of DOF and Tesselation your performance goes down the drain unfortunately. Same with mine. Thats why I just turn it off and get amazing minimum frame rates.
June 13, 2010 2:51:55 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
Stop playing metro with tesselation and DOF you should be ok.

Nvidia does announce the Fermi to be better than the ATI chips but that doesn't mean the Fermi can actually tesselate any good. Both ATI and Nvidia have chips that produce unplayable frame rates in Heaven Benchmark so neither of them are really any good for that purpose. Metro is a bit over the top with tesselation though it would be very hard to tell the difference between tesselaiton on and off in metro, there is crazy calculations in the background.

Same with DOF, that takes a lot of GPU compute for unnoticable difference.

When scenes maxes out of DOF and Tesselation your performance goes down the drain unfortunately. Same with mine. Thats why I just turn it off and get amazing minimum frame rates.



Thx
But my focus is :
the Video showed the similar PC of mine
and he also have the all max full settings (all DX11 and DOF very high 4MSAA + 16AF)
u may see the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3xyQk51TXM
but the FPS is almost 20~30 higher than mine
that is my point????
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 13, 2010 3:08:10 PM

Check some actual benchmarks, maybe that guy edited his video and isn't actually playing on max... besides its only like 2 minutes of gameplay.

Did you try what Obsidian86 suggested?
June 13, 2010 3:14:51 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Check some actual benchmarks, maybe that guy edited his video and isn't actually playing on max... besides its only like 2 minutes of gameplay.

Did you try what Obsidian86 suggested?

thanks really
ur words really let me feel very good
ha~~
June 13, 2010 3:35:57 PM

Just disable DX11 - Advanced DOF and you´ll be ok

Tessalation does make a difference in graphics
Advanced DOF is hard to tell but the FPS will go down
June 13, 2010 3:49:58 PM

OK, first of all, this is not Micro Stuttering; Micro-stuttering is when you get high FPS and it "feels" like you are getting lower FPS. That is to say, a 60fps score would feel like 25fps. This is simply when your cards are suffering from synchronizity. I think that you should get to that same level that he is in. Most people that do the test on the 480 do so on the first level; that is the most common point of reference for this game, particularly in benchmarks. If you can get to the exact same spot that he is in then you should be fine. Also can you post a picture of GPU-Z?
June 14, 2010 5:35:58 AM

merazo_2007 said:
Just disable DX11 - Advanced DOF and you´ll be ok

Tessalation does make a difference in graphics
Advanced DOF is hard to tell but the FPS will go down

thx
but the vidoe showed full max
inculding all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3xyQk51TXM
and the FPS is still higher than mine for 20~30
June 14, 2010 5:40:43 AM

DarthPiggie said:
OK, first of all, this is not Micro Stuttering; Micro-stuttering is when you get high FPS and it "feels" like you are getting lower FPS. That is to say, a 60fps score would feel like 25fps. This is simply when your cards are suffering from synchronizity. I think that you should get to that same level that he is in. Most people that do the test on the 480 do so on the first level; that is the most common point of reference for this game, particularly in benchmarks. If you can get to the exact same spot that he is in then you should be fine. Also can you post a picture of GPU-Z?

Really thx
may be the diffrent chapter and spots we were playing
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
June 14, 2010 7:54:57 AM

correction~~
the video showed
1920*1200
Dx11 all max
very high
advanced phyx
16AF
but @@ AAA
u will see
the FPS still very high
i really dont know if the PC problem???
still the same EVGA SC 480
and the slot 1+3 will make the performace down ???
make it 16x and 8x ??
my MB is EVGA X58 3X Sli?????

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 14, 2010 4:03:20 PM
Share

There's your difference AAA vs 4xMSAA. Big difference in performance, AAA is much less taxing.
Change to AAA and see how you go.
June 16, 2010 6:07:54 AM

Best answer selected by billtaco.
June 22, 2010 4:40:34 PM

I'll be able to answer you soon as I am building a new pc similar to yours and I did see the video you are talking about.

My PC specs:
CPU: I7 980x
GPU: EVGA SC gtx 480 SLi
MB: Asus P6X58D premi
Ram: OCZ 6b(3x2gb)
PSU: 1000w
OS: windows 7 home premi 64-bit
HD: 1tb wester digital


Sorry what was your power supply? and temps?
June 23, 2010 1:48:05 PM

also 1000W too
the temp
the max up to 85 even 90 (very few)
another one around 80

thx
i really like to see the result
but the new NV driver make diffrences

1. more stable (all max with 4MSAA + DOF + .....) => 25~58 in the first map (not the first chapter) in my PC
2. but not elevate too many FPS after turn off 4MSAA (still around 29 ~60 )

so ur test ??
but my CPU is only 8CPUs
urs is 12 CPUs
maybe that is the bottleneck???????
June 23, 2010 1:48:26 PM

BUBBAcHEWY BoS said:
I'll be able to answer you soon as I am building a new pc similar to yours and I did see the video you are talking about.

My PC specs:
CPU: I7 980x
GPU: EVGA SC gtx 480 SLi
MB: Asus P6X58D premi
Ram: OCZ 6b(3x2gb)
PSU: 1000w
OS: windows 7 home premi 64-bit
HD: 1tb wester digital


Sorry what was your power supply? and temps?

also 1000W too
the temp
the max up to 85 even 90 (very few)
another one around 80

thx
i really like to see the result
but the new NV driver make diffrences

1. more stable (all max with 4MSAA + DOF + .....) => 25~58 in the first map (not the first chapter) in my PC
2. but not elevate too many FPS after turn off 4MSAA (still around 29 ~60 )

so ur test ??
but my CPU is only 8CPUs
urs is 12 CPUs
maybe that is the bottleneck???????
!