Sign in with
Your question

I7-930 $1200-1500 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
July 21, 2010 8:58:21 AM

Hello there, I was looking for some input on the rig I've specced out. Started as a closer to $1k build, but I can't seem to resist shiny extras like a blu-ray drive and an SSD.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Soon (0-2 weeks)

BUDGET RANGE: $1000-$1500 USD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, general productivity, VMs, transcoding

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, though I'm not picky. amazon is excellent too if the price is good.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

OVERCLOCKING: Yes (quite likely)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: In the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

I already have the case and CPU. Obviously, 850W is definite over-kill, but it was a great combo deal, and I decided it was worth the added $40 over the 650W to future-proof as I plan to re-use the case and PSU in future builds

Case/PSU - LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62/XFX 850W -$200

This leaves $1k-1.3k for the rest of the components which I'm still deciding on.

CPU/Motherboard - Intel i7-930/GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

RAM - 6GB G.Skill 1333 7-7-7-18
Random pick with okay price and nice timings. What kind of overclock would be necessary before this RAM became the bottleneck? Any other good suggestions?

GPU - - EVGA Geforce 460 1GB SC
I'm waiting for these to become available on NewEgg, may switch to a different 460 model if that doesn't happen soon though.

I plan on starting with one 460, and then throwing in a second one in SLI when I feel I need the performance boost.

Boot/application Drive - Intel X-25M 80GB SSD

Data Drive - 2x 1GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (RAID 1)

BD/DVD Drive - Samsung 8x BD-ROM/16x DVD-ROM Lightscribe

HSF - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and Arctic Silver 5
(NewEgg link, but likely ordering through Amazon or elsewhere for $30 due to NewEgg's silly pricing)

The total is $1560, so I'm breaking my own budget, but I have access to the Intel employee discount which knocks the CPU down to $150 and the SSD down to $140. This brings the build in at <$1400. Of course, I could knock another $250 off that if I don't get functionality additions like blu-ray, an SSD, and data redundancy.

Any thoughts? Are there any motherboards worth the extra cash? Is an SSD still a little silly at my budget even with the discount?

More about : 930 1200 1500 gaming

July 21, 2010 12:31:12 PM

^+1 for the RAM...

As for the graphics, the SC version is only about $10 more and also most likely EVGA chooses better binned chips to put in their overclocked cards...So going with that is fine...

As for the SSD, with that discount, I would say get it...

And seems that you know what you are doing...A very good build there...
Good Luck...
July 21, 2010 12:54:05 PM

Unless you're planning on getting Power DVD 10 or whatever the version is, it might be worth only going with a standard DVD Writer. If you're going to be using the machine as a Blu-Ray player on top of everything else then fine but most people would get a player as part of a HT setup in their living room. Just making suggestions to save you cash.

If you can get the Intel discount then go for it, keep the SSD as its a good option definately and RAID 1 F3's is good if you're in need of some extra security.

So yeah, good build but my only gripe personally would be the Blu-Ray drive.
!