New Builds never tried memtest, cpu stress test..etc.

myoffive

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Hi all,

I have 2 new builds and have never tried memtest or cpu stress or any of those applications to check on the systems. One I've had for about 3 months and I've been having problems with windows shutting down unexpectedly. I wanna run the tests to see what the problem might be. I am suspecting that it's the hard drive because the first blue screen showed that the hard disk couldn't be read.

Anywho, if someone could direct me to the correct file to download for all the applications to test the systems that would be great.

Here are my specs:

Desktop #1:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
CPU: Phenom 955
RAM: ddr2 800mhz 4gb
HDD: WD 500gb & Hitachi 500gb
PSU: 650w
GPU: Radeon 4850

Desktop #2:
Mobo: MSi 790x-g45
CPU: Phenom 945
RAM: A-Data ddr3 1600mhz 4gb
HDD: 2xWD 500gb
PSU: 650w
GPU: Radeon 4850

------- Desktop #1 is the one having the unexpected shut down. I didn't build that one myself so if there is something wrong with it, it is covered under warranty. I build the 2nd one myself and so far it doesn't have any problems. Although for #1 to have problems this early is kinda heartbreaking.. it's only 3 months old. I am currently transferring all the files to my external drive just in case it fails on me, I won't lose out on my documents.

If anyone can explain to me on those tests, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

banthracis

Distinguished
HD you can read smart DATA in BIOS. WD also offers testing software on their website.

Memtest and prim95 can both be found as the top search result in google.

Memtest is run using a bootable disk, USB or CD /DVD ro floppy. Read instructions it comes with on how to make one of these. It requires a boot from disk, does not run from OS. Run 8 passes min.

Prime 95 automatically detects number of cores in newer versions. Just run torture on blend for 12 hrs.