Spilt bi distilled water + PT_Nuke on HD5850 >.<

:hello: Hey

So I'm selling my HAF932 on ebay and so I thought that today I would take everything out of my case and clean the case ready for it to be delivered, part of that process involves draining my waterloop, In this process I spilt roughly 2-3 drops of Bi-distilled water + PT_Nuke on the PCB side of my HD5850.
The power was off, I dabbed the liquid with some tissue and have left it on my desk for about 5 hours now.
I haven't tried to see if it works or not yet as I don't have a case to put all my PC bits in (CM HAF932 is in its box ready to be delivered).

So whats the chance of it working? I won't be able to try it until Tuesday so it will have been left to dry for over 3 days.....

Can't believe it :cry:

Any help is much appreciated as always. :love:

With the power off you should be fine but for safety you should wash the area with clean distilled water to make sure there are no remnants of PT_NUKE left over and then let it dry before putting power to it again.

Ok *phew!* I've already broken 1 HD5850 before, really don't want to brake another...

I'll get some distilled tomorrow and give it a wash and then leave it to dry until Tuesday.

Cheers rolli59

I know this is a 'dead' thread but, just like to thank rolli59 for your advice, did as you said and my card works great still at 1000/1200, same temps as before, no artifacting, same performance..

Next time I'll be much more careful when draining my loop...

Thanks again. :D

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
All matter conducts electricity, just more or less. Distilled water will conduct electricity but not much. Not enough for large amount of current to travel through to cause permanent damage to components but enough electricity to make your system cause artifacts, blue screen, or fail to boot.

If that distilled water have been running in a loop with copper blocks, the errorsive force of water will incorporate some of the copper in water making it as conductive as tap water which may be enough to fry components.