Anyone ACTUALLY running 16GB in 780G DS2H?

chrisG_82

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I want to upgrade from 8GB(2GBx4), but if it's going to be a fail anyway, I'd really like to know in advance. I'm thinking I'll upgrade from my aging Athlon II x2 to a Phenom II x6 and sell my current fast timing GSKILL DDR2 800 online to pay for the upgrade. 4GB dimms weren't really available when I built my system, but that's what I always needed.

It's been a fantastic board and even plays Crysis nicely when overclocked, with onboard video. I've been really happy with the 780G as a casual gamer, but I also do a lot of photoshop and lightroom work, where it works just great with the OpenGL drawing enhancements they put in.

I know this is a silly thing to be asking about, but I googled and googled with no luck.

Thanks.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Chris,

What OS are you using?

If windows vista or windows 7 you can place the RAM gadget on your desktop and see how much RAM you are using at any point in time. I use PhotoShop and it rarely goes about 2 GB of RAM used. So if you are using 2GB, or 4GB or RAM, going from 8 to 16 GB isn't going to make any difference.

John VK

chrisG_82

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I'm using Vista 64 and I regularly use 5.5Gb in Photoshop. (Because that's what I tell it that it can have.) I could use a lot more because it hits that limit and then starts going to the hard drive. If I can keep an image merge under the ram ceiling it saves me hours.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Chris,
Those PhotoShop files are Big files!

I'd still put the RAM gadget on your desktop which will show you exactly at any point in time how much RAM you are using. Remember the old saying "if you can't measure it, you can't manage it!

If you need more RAM for PhotoShop, then the best way is to add additional RAM to your motherboard.

(You could use the ReadyBoost (FlashDrive) feature but then you'd be plugging in the flashdrive every time. Not first choice.)

Remember if you are going to go to 16GB of RAM, you need to buy a matched package of 4 RAM chips that have been tested to work together, not just add a couple additional sticks.

Check your CPU specs for RAM voltage. If it is 1.5V like most are now, you might consider the new Corsair Vengeance RAM that are designed to run the the recommended 1.5 voltage, rather than 1.65V. They do have a 16 GB package 1600 MHz (9,9,9,24) which sells for ~ $205. The other thing about having 4 sticks, is that in all probability when Intel goes to the quad channel RAM configuration, you should be all set, in that you have all 4 sticks to use. The only miniscule downside to 4 sticks is that it makes the memory controller work "harder" managing 4 sticks - not a bigie.
Hope that helps,
John VK