Computer is Freezing

keithodulaigh

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I built a computer last December. Up until now it has been quite stable but recently it has been locking-up (i.e. the mouse and keyboard are non-responsive and nothing changes on screen.).

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice as to what they think may be the cause.

So far I have ran Memtest for over 5 hours and so far it says no errors. It is still running.

The problem occurs in both Ubuntu 10.04 x64 and Vista x86 so I don't think that software or drivers are the problem.

My keyboard/mouse are both wireless. When it locks up, the receiver blinks to acknowledge the press/move. If I unplug the receiver from the USB and plug it back in then it no longer lights up. So at that point the USB is temporarily dead too.

My two OS are on separate hard-drives. Although they are both the same model number so I don't think it's a hard-drive problem either.

I think that's all the info that I have for now.

Here is my component list:

Motherboard: Asus M4A89GTD PRO USB3
RAM: 4 x 1GB 1333MHz
Hard drives: 2 x 500GB Seagate ST3500418AS
Processor: AMD X4 965 Black Edition
Graphics: Radeon 5770 by Saphire
PSU:OCZ 500MXSP

I don't have any over-clocking active and my BIOS settings are default, which is mostly "auto" for every configuration.

I recently upgraded from a Saphire motherboard. I can't be 100% sure that I had lock ups with that motherboard but I think that I did - just not as frequent so it didn't bother me enough to remember! Plus I have been using my computer more frequently now. Mostly, I just use StarUML but the lock ups don't just happen with that program.

Asus PC Probe usually gives me temps of around 40 for the CPU and 30ish for the mobo so I don't think its a heat related issue.

I have updated the BIOS on the mobo too to the latest.

Thanks in advance,
Keith

veni12

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
right click on an empty space on ur taskbar and select 'task manager' then on the applications/processes tabs stop any itunes services that r running.
then uninstall itunes and download the latest version. if u still have problems, download an earlier version that worked well on ur pc.

=========================

Natural Diet Pills
xytomax