Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My computer is powering down randomly.

Last response: in CPUs
September 21, 2010 4:42:39 PM

Not real sure where to put this, as I do not know what component is specifically doing this. Sometimes, if I go away from my computer for more than 10 minutes or so, my computer will almost completely power down. Looks like everything in the case shuts off (lights, fans, drives) minus one small green led on my motherboard. I guess it is going into some sort of sleep mode, because if I hit the power button, everything turns on in a matter of like 5 seconds and it is ready to go.

Now I do not find this to be a bad thing as I'm sure it is saving me a ton of electricity, HOWEVER, it does not do it all the time. Sometimes the computer will stay fully powered up for hours and not go into sleep mode. Now for the dumb question as I'm sure most of you reading this already know what is doing it. What component is causing the computer to shut down and go into sleep mode? I would assume it is my motherboard or OS? The reason I am asking this is I would actually like this to continue to happen and more frequently and consistently. Is there a timer on something that I can make this happen more often?

My computer:
COOLER MASTER HAF 932
Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB
XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm Cooler

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
September 21, 2010 4:49:06 PM

I think its Windows, now that this is in the wrong section, how do I force Windows to do this on a timer. Say I do nothing for 10 minutes, and it will just go into sleep mode.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 21, 2010 4:51:10 PM

Its sleep mode. in Windows Under power look at when the system puts the computer to sleep.
September 21, 2010 5:00:45 PM

Best answer selected by immortalduck.
m
l
!