Asus P5Q-E fails to detect C: about once a month.

lilyx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I have an Asus P5Q-E mother board. About once every month on start up it fails to see my WD Caviar Blue 320GB HDD. Looking in set up it just says not detected where the C: drive should be. I've run WD LifeGuard Diagnostics on the drive (extended test) and it passed. So I'm thinking it is the motherboard.

It is started each day in the morning and shut down overnight. Most days it is fine. But when it occurs I have to reboot it between three and twenty times for it to see the drive then it boots normally. On the occasion it doesn't boot at all I have had to install Win 7 again. Strangely it manages to see it OK for installation.

Suggestions or ideas?

lilyx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008

No it is not windows it is the motherboard it is an Asus P5Q_E as I said in the OP. :) I can't remember the exact wording but basically it tells me to give it a boot device and press enter. As I said on entering the setup up menu I can see that where the c: drive should be it says 'hard drive not detected' it detects the other drives (although) it occasionally fails to see one of the others as well.

lilyx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008

Should I do this even though it is only the c: drive it doesn't see? Should I wait for it to fail again or just do it before the next start up (tomorrow UK time). It started up perfectly this morning after not seeing the c: drive again yesterday. Also when I go into setup when it does fail again is there anything setting wise I should make note of?

Thanks both for responding.