500$ for a motherboard and cpu

Tyger-Lord

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week

BUDGET RANGE: 500$

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, mostly MMOs, with some single player FPS games. also planning for Stacraft 2 and Diablo 3 and star Wars Old Republic

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS, Speakers, Mouse, keyboard, monitor, burner, hdd, casing, ram, power supply.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Tigerdirect.ca, Newegg.ca, NCIX.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel for cpu, asus for mother board.

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

I posted here a little while ago foradvice, and definatly good good ones. since then I bought a gaming casing, 4 gb of ddr3, a new power supply (thermaltake 600w) and my new video card is on the way (Gigabyte GTX460 1gb).

Now i've managed to inject additional funds in my new computer budget, which takes me up to 500$ (canadian dollars) left to buy a motherboard and a cpu. I don't want to go AMD, i'd like to stick with Intel, possibly a Core I5, along with a motherboard that will allow me to add more ram later (I got 2x2gb DDR3). I heard some mobo do tri-channel with the ram now, so if that's effective, that could be interessting. Squeezing a 3rd stick of 2gb ram could be nice, but not needed at the time. The motherboard doesn't need to support a second video card since I won't be buying a second one anyway
Again thank you for the time you guys will take in pointing me towards the best direction

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
that's some interessting choices. But it got me thinking : what if we lower the board price for something a bit less high-tech and go for a core I7 instead?

The cheapest i7 + ASUS-mobo combo would be the 930 w/ P6T SE ~ $520 Canadian, with shipping.
But if you are willing to go for Gigabyte (which are just as good as ASUS, if not better) you could get the
GA X58 UD3R (better than P6T) with the 930, for the same price.

Sub $200 X58 boards do exist (Foxconn, DFI, Jetway, AsRock, etc), you might want to give them a thought
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007626+4017+600007887&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=280&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=