Power supply question

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I'm looking at a box that belongs to an acquaintance. This computer was obviously built for enterprise not personal use. It's actually not bad but it has some very crippling issues that can be fixed. Most notably is this box only has a 200w psu.The MB on this thing is a winfast N15235. I can't find a manual on it but a look at the bios reveals some generous features. This thing could be used for moderate oc'n as it allows changing of vcore and memory as well as fsb. It also has a pci-e x16 slot and a pci-e x1 slot as well. It's running an AMD sempron 64 3200+. My issue is the hard drive in this thing failed. Won't spin up or anything so the data is lost. My question is could the low wattage power supply have contributed to this? I'm going to put another HD in for him but I don't want to give it back if it may fail again later. If the HD competes for power with the cpu and the rest of the system that can't be good. It would probably get the HD hot or destroy the motor. If I put a new one in it must be a low profile because that is all that will fit. Suggestions?
1 more thing this guy is poor so top of the line stuff is out. I may be willing to help him out a bit.

depends what brand power supply and its age but other then that things fail it might be hardcore super #1 class hard ware or low shelf rejects nothing lasts forever i think its just a random hdd death,failure rates maybe higher on some brands but just do some research,i have never head of low rated power supplies killing hardware more likely badly rated power supplies

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

I figured. Even still I'm going to recommend a higher wattage if he ever wants to upgrade the video card or something like that.