Hard Drive Access Is Slow

maxxorz

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
So, I checked the forum, but couldn't find a thread that really answers this. It may just be a stupid question.

I my current hardware set up, I have four drives. My boot drive is a 160GB SSD, I have two 600GB Velociraptors in a striping configuration, and I have a 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT with 7200 RPM.

Sometimes, when I try to access the Seagate, my computer has to wait for it to load up. The only thing I keep on it is my Documents. The raided velociraptors are for programs, and the SSD is for my OS.

I experience this not only through Windows Explorer, where I'll click on the hard drive, and a green loading bar will appear at the top, but in my web browser as well, when I want to save a file (I use a Windows specific version of Firefox called PaleMoon).

What I'm wondering is, am I doing something wrong to cause this sort of load time, or is it just the nature of the hardware?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Solution
You didn't mention your OS. Take a look at your power settings. It's probably spinning the drives down when idle. It takes a few seconds for the drive to come back up to speed before it can be read or written to. The drive settings are kind of buried in the win 7 power settings so you may have to dig for it. Set the drives to never spin down.
You didn't mention your OS. Take a look at your power settings. It's probably spinning the drives down when idle. It takes a few seconds for the drive to come back up to speed before it can be read or written to. The drive settings are kind of buried in the win 7 power settings so you may have to dig for it. Set the drives to never spin down.

Solution

maxxorz

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Windows 7. Sorry about that.

I went in to the power settings, did advanced power settings, expanded Hard disk, there was a "Turn off hard disk after" setting, and I set it to never. I'll see if this works. Thank you for your advice!