M2N32 SLI Deluxe SLI compatibility issues?

maverickwarrior06

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello folks,

Any ideas as to WHY my motherboard refuses to give me SLI access when I have an nvidia 8600GT? I have 2 of them. I also have updated to the latest drivers. Ive updated my bios to the latest stable version. Yet under the nvidia control panel in windows it doesn't give me the option to SLI when clearly ive read the index, nvidia website and driver release notes. They all point to SLI being in there.Im currently only using 1 video card because when i put in both it just wouldnt load the windows logon Screen.SO i went back to 1 VGA and back to square 1 with SLI not being available whatsoever. THANKS in advance

ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe wireless edition
WinXP 64bit
3GB Corsair DDR2 800
1 PNY Geforce 8600GT OCd

maverickwarrior06

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Ive Tried them both separately and they both load windows just fine. When i do that I have to adjust the resolution and it goes through the whole process of reinstalling the drivers itself and rebooting which presents no problems. Also only one is overclocked..I bought the other 8600GT yesterday. Though from what i read the difference in clockspeed doesnt matter.

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I have that same board and your cards DO have to be exact matching cards to work in sli mode if their not the same clock speeds they wont sync up and will cause hard ware conflicts you can try hooking them up without the sli connector and run two monitors, (or just switch the monitor cable back and forth) I have seen these boards with secondary pcie slot problems...
Good Luck PaPABlista

maverickwarrior06

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Ultimately I determined it was a faulty pcie slot problem. I did exactly as you did a few months ago. Bought 2 identical cards. Right down to the clock speeds. Brand, chipset..EVERYTHING. Alas, it wouldn't cooperate. So finally i upgraded my board. have a whole new build. Well, new core components. PSU remains the same and the Vid card has changed.Overall its good now. My previous board also began having random shutdowns. At first, it overheated. I upgraded and used Arctic silver thermal compound. Still overheated. Tried watercooling. would still shutdown. Tested ram and vidcard. I think it was it's time. Thanks for your input Papblista.